Friday, December 21, 2012

Book Blogger Hop - 12/21 - 12/27



QUESTION OF THE WEEK:

What book were you determined to read this year and you still didn’t pick up? Is it at least on your bookshelf or e-reader? 

 MY ANSWER:
  
Well...my son lovingly bought me a book in June of this year when we was in Scotland because he knows I love learning about life as kitchen maids and butlers in British/Scottish households.  When I was there later that year, we visited this awesome house in Edinburgh that showed the house kitchen and the bells his Lordship and Lady used to summon the maids to their chambers or whatever room they were in.

I haven't had time to read it, but it is right there front and center on my bookshelf.  

I will HAVE to read it this year.  "It isn't even long, Mom, you can do it, right?"  :)

"I will make my best effort, Mark, since I have tried to cut down on accepting review requests for the new year." 

And the book is...BELOW STAIRS by Margaret Powell:


MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!


9 comments:

  1. That's great that you have an interest about maids. You come to learn a lot about them in fiction and nonfiction. I hope you get the chance to read the book your son got you.

    My answer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I brought the book with me and started reading it on the plane. He was happy. :)

    A Christmas surprise for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got to it. I've been wanting to read Gone Girl but haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Ulysses". I really wanted to read that this year but somehow, well, it's still on my TBR pile. Maybe 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got interested in Downton Abbey, after listening to so many rave reviews about it, so borrowed the DVDs of Seasons 1 & 2 from a young friend a few weeks ago and watched them. I am now ready for Season 3 to begin on January 6, 2013 on PBS.

    I now so want this book, esp. since it is a memoir of her life as a kitchen maid and cook, and the TV shows are based on her book. Enjoy....

    Thanks for the visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for participating in the hop.

    I think you should make before Mother's Day to read it :-) What a sweet gift.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started reading it yesterday on the plane. If I would get off of this computer, I could finish the book before he gets home from work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually managed to knock a few books off that list this year, but there are still a few lurking on my bookshelf that I still need to get into: Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs and On The Road by Jack Kerouac. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you enjoy your book. It sounds like you will! Scotland looks wonderful! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete