Friday, February 1, 2013

Book Beginnings On Fridays - 2/1/13

This is my first time participating in these meme started by Rose City Reader.  I am excited to be here.

Taken from Gilion's Site:

Please join me every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name. 

 __________________________


The book I am reading is CASCADE by Maryanne O'Hara.  

It has a slow start, but once it gets going....WOW.  

The book is amazing with all its underlying meanings and wonderful descriptions.  I love it. 

The cover is gorgeous.  My review that will be up in a day or so will tell the meaning of the cover - the author explained it to me.


First Two sentences:

December 1934

AND SOMETHING BECOMES SOMETHING ELSE
 
"During his final days, William Hart was haunted by drowning dreams.  Every night, at the sound of his shouts, Dez came awake herself, always briefly startled to find a husband - Asa - sleeping beside her."  

8 comments:

  1. Going to check out the other blogs in the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see your name pop up on this meme too :-)
    I look forward to reading your review about the cover - it's beautiful.
    The dreaming of water brought to mind some of the images in The Life of Pi which I saw last weekend. I like how the mind makes these connections!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...so maybe it's been a long day (and it has!), but is the husband, Asa, also William Hart? The first lines definitely have me curious. Here's my Friday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No....William is Dez's father.

    Asa is Dez's husband.

    Thanks for stopping by, Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Brona....thanks.

    I just found this meme today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intriguing opening, but a little confusing. I'd definitely read more to find out why Dez was surprised to find a husband beside her.
    My Book Beginnings/Friday 56 post features LOVE AND SLEEPLESS NIGHTS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the others, I too find the lines intriguing. And I love novels set during the thirties. Will look this up.

    ReplyDelete