Friday, May 24, 2013

Book Blogger Hop - 5/24 - 5/30


 THIS WEEK'S QUESTION:

Have you ever been to BEA, and if so, do you recommend attending? Any good advice for first-time attendees?

MY ANSWER:

Oh yes...I went last year, 2012, for the first time.  I had so much fun.  It actually wasn't as overwhelming as I thought it would be. I would definitely recommend going if you can.  It would be more fun if you had someone to share the excitement with, but I was ok on my own.

The trade floor was organized very well, and you could pretty easily find where you wanted to go.

Advice:  Bring a rolling suitcase that you can keep at a check point they have so you can unpack the books you pick up on the trade floor from the bag you carry around with you.  If you don't do this, you will be carrying around a lot of books and a lot of weight. :)

I accidentally found this out when I went the day before to get my badge or I would have been in trouble.

Another piece of advice:  Don't rush around. There is plenty to see and plenty of publisher booths and authors to visit.  I enjoyed when the author was there signing books.  My favorite booth was where they had mystery authors signing every 45 minutes.

I still need any advice anyone else who always attends can give because I definitely do not know all the ropes.

HAVE FUN if you go this year, and I hope I can meet some folks I talk to on the computer in person.  If I don't get to meet anyone, it still is fun to meet other folks.  EVERYONE is very friendly.


16 comments:


  1. Elizabeth
    Finally someone who has been to BEA! It sounds like you might be going again this year too. Is it close to you or do you have quite a bit of travel to do. For many people as I go around their blogs it is distance and cost.

    Thanks for sharing about last year. It's nice to know that even by yourself you can enjoy it. In some ways if you are with someone else you are always keeping an eye on where the other person wants to be.

    I think this was you contribution question, so thanks! On the hop I found out about the Armchair BEA which I have signed up to ( I think it went through!).
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be my fifth BEA and I'm just as excited as I was the first year I went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you describe it. I've never gone but would love to. I'd say it's travel costs and time that keep me away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I can come there too!!!

    check my answer to your question :)

    Camelle @ Home Of A Book Lover

    New follower here :D Follow me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had fun going there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO jealous! I really want to go. Maybe next year. I'm so glad you answered this the way you did. I've wondered whether people go with friends or by themselves. I don't know any book bloggers in person, yet. I don't really have any friends at home that are super into book like I am or who would want to go. I know you meet a ton of people there, which would be so much fun, but I wasn't sure how it was if you went by yourself. It seems like you had a lot of fun, though, which eases my mind and makes me happy. Maybe now I'll start saving up for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy...knowing the fifth time is as exciting as the first makes me even more excited.

    THANKS to everyone who stopped by.

    The cost is in accommodations, but luckily I am staying with my son.

    And this year I a driving back with him after the Memorial Day Holiday. Just have to make travel arrangements home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like some good advice there. Hope you have a great weekend!

    Tasha @ A Trillian Books xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to go to BEA, or any convention to be honest!
    I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey I'm stopping by from the Feature and Follow! Thank you so much for visiting my blog earlier :) Followed back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my post, Following you back via GFC
    Danielle @ Coffee and Characters

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! What a great experience to have. I could just imagine how big this event is. I hope to go there someday. Thanks for your tips ;)

    My Friday Hops

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness, it does sound fun! Thank you for stopping by my blog yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish i could say i've even heard of BEA, but until this post i never had.It seems like an ultra cool experience, if i had found out about it perhaps i could have attended. thanks for stopping by.now following

    Guinevere

    http://twinjabookreviews.blogspot.com

    http://yamulticultural.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, you LUCKY, LUCKY girl!! I would SO love to be able to go!!!!

    Thanks for the report on how GREAT this event is! Oh, to be surrounded by tons and tons of books!!! REAL books, NOT e-books!! This kind of thing wouldn't be fun at all with e-books. No way!

    I will be going to a book fair here in Miami, Florida, come November. Maybe BEA is much bigger than the fair down here, but this one is pretty good! I'll be putting up my report on this one, after I return! I'll be sure to take lots of pics, some of which will be of the treasures that I pick up!

    Hope you have a GREAT time at BEA! You mentioned that you'll be staying with your son. I suppose he'll be going with you, right? Please publish a post about your experience, so we can all drool and turn green! Lol.

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my BBH post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. new follower :) :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete