Saturday, September 14, 2013

Book Beginnings - 9/13/13

*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

My Book Beginnings is from BURIAL RITES by Hannah Kent.  I am thoroughly enjoying this book.  It is based on a true incident.  The writing is amazing and detailed.  The book is difficult to put down. This is the author's first book.


A few sentences from the Prologue:

"They said I must die.  They said that I stole the breath from men, and now they must steal mine.  I  imagine, then that we are all candle flames, greasy-bright, fluttering in the darkness and the howl of the wind, and in the stillness of....in a gray wreath of smoke."

I hope you get to read this book.


23 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this one. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is REALLY good Laurel. I hope you get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry_spelling erros on original post_
    Thanks for the visit at my blog today and for your very thoughtful comment.
    I read Karen's House of Diamonds and thoughly loved it.
    I love the lines you;ve shared from this book and I will certainly get it.
    i think you might enjoy the The Irish Game by Matthew Hart too. It is about art theft in Ireland. its also nonfiction but great writing and veri interesting stories.

    Wendy @ Fabulosity Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that books sounds good, Wendy.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, awesome beginning! I'm intrigued already! Thanks for sharing and for visiting my Book Beginnings post!

    Wendy @ Escape Into Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Those are some mesmerizing first few lines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for shoosing to share the lines from this book. It's on my TBR list and these lines have increased my interest. Very nice site here Silver. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANKS so much, Karen. I hope you stop back often.

    The book is VERY good.

    Alison...the book is a true story and oh so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just started this and am having a little trouble getting into it. I will keep going though now that I see you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've noticed a lot of twitter buzz about this book. Hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is pretty good, Mary. THANKS for stopping.

    I am enjoying, it samstillreading. I hope you start to like it. THANKS for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, that sounds ominous. Thanks for sharing and visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds interesting I'm intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been really curious about this one, and it sounds great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. THANKS for stopping, Eva and Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. THANKS for stopping, Ann.

    I am almost done with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. THANKS, Bev...it is quite good all the way through.

    I could NEVER live where these people live. Too cold....brrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds intriguing

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. THANKS for stopping, always reading.

    ReplyDelete