Friday, October 11, 2013

Book Beginnings - 10/11/13


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

This week's Book Beginnings is taken from THE FUNERAL DRESS by Susan Gregg Gilmore.  I am already enjoying it and just started it on Wednesday.

"Emmalee Bullard became a Tennewa girl on the last Thursday in May.  She woke early that morning, like always, in the back of a two-room house squeezed in tight at the foot of Pine Mountain.  But today she'd slipped away beneath the oaks and cedars without waking her father."



********************

I actually just finished this book but am including it in this week's post.

NORTH OF SUPPOSED TO BE  by Marcia Ferguson.

"Think of a puppy. A puppy with melting eyes and velvety ears, the shape of a cracker.  A bouncy Boston terrier puppy, crazily chasing a ball.

Moments ticked by as the dog reverie failed to calm Bronwyn's racing heart.

A sunset over the ocean.  No, maybe seagulls gliding on the wind.

Bronwyn breathed a choppy sigh.  Her nerves were getting the best of her."



17 comments:

  1. The Funeral Dress is a lovely, heartbreaking read. Sounds strange to use those two words together, but it is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These both sound so good! Thanks for sharing...and here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST


    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS for stopping by, Laurel.

    Heading over to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of your choices are books I have never seen. That is what makes this so much fun. Here is my Book Beginning at Mixed Book Bag

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of either of these books before, but I love the sound of both of them! Thanks for sharing.

    Here's my Friday blog post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/10/friday-focus-first-blogoversary.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping, Catherine. Going to head over to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, JC. I find so many more books to add to the toppling shelves. :)

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting opening. I like the book cover and the title of the novel...it sounds like an emotional read :)

    My Friday Book Memes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both have very good beginnings, really makes you wonder whats going on. The second one in particular, I liked the cover then clicked the link and read the blurb- not what I was expecting! Looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THANKS for stopping by, Greg.

    The Funeral Dress is very good...I am almost done with it.

    North of Supposed to Be wasn't bad, but just a bit too long and too many characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Funeral Dress is VERY emotional, justcaffeinated.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I read "squeezed in tight at the foot of Pine Mountain" in your post, I was hooked. What great and original description! Both books you posted about are now on my TBR list.
    My post today features FLY OR FALL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. THANKS for stopping, Sandra.

    I hope you enjoy the books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. both of these sound like books I would enjoy!

    My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping, Hilary. I hope you get to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the sound of these books - off to investigate another new author for me . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. jaffareadstoo...thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete