Friday, October 25, 2013

Book Beginnings - 10/25/13



*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

********************

This week's Book Beginnings is taken from TAMARACK COUNTY by William Kent Krueger.

"Like many and women who've worn a badge for a good part of their lives, Corcoran Liam O'Connor was cursed.  Twice cursed, in reality. Cursed with memory and cursed with imagination."

I really like Mr. Krueger's books.  This one has a murder in it.  Should be good.

 

********************

This is one of the books I had featured last week on Book Beginnings, and it is worthy of mentioning it again.

THE SWEETEST HALLELUJAH by Elaine Hussey.  It was heartbreaking, but also heartwarming.

"The day Billie's life changed, she was already knee deep in trouble."


23 comments:

  1. The opening for Tamarack County is very intriguing. I wonder why memory and imagination would be considered to be a curse here.

    My Friday Book Memes

    ReplyDelete
  2. One curse is enough, but he's been cursed twice. His memory and imagination, that's terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your excerpt makes me curious about the book...and the author, whom I have yet to read. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Krueger's novel Ordinary Grace and hope to read Tamarack County soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like I'm going to have to start reading Kreuger and Hussey! Both books appeal to me. Thanks for introducing me to these authors.
    Here's my Friday56/Book Beginnings post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping, cleopatralovesbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandra...Krueger's books are FANTASTIC.

    The Sweetest Hallelujah was good as well.

    THANKS for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. justcaffeinated....thanks for stopping.

    Not sure why, but I hope I find out as I read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tea Norman...thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laurel....you HAVE to read his books.

    They are fantastic.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping, Beth.

    I loved Ordinary Grace too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tamarack County sound like a good read. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr. Krueger's books are always so good.

    THANKS for stopping, JC.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice teasers! Makes me want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like an intriguing read. Thanks for visiting my FBB -happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Harvee...I am on page 130...it is good.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  17. jaffareadstoo...thanks for stopping.

    It is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a great opening for a mystery!

    Thanks for joining in on Book Beginnings on Fridays!

    Rose City Reader now has a Facebook page. I plan to post about new and favorite books, book events, and other bookish tidbits, as well as link to blog posts.

    I'd love a "Like" on the page, if you are so inclined: https://www.facebook.com/RoseCityReader

    And I am happy to Like you back if you have a blog or professional Facebook page, so please get me a link and I will find you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. THANKS so much for stopping by, Gillion.

    I enjoy the Book Beginnings Meme each Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. anything with a murder is usually good, in my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is very true, guiltless reader. :)

    THANKS for stopping.

    I am almost done with the book...hopefully this evening.

    ReplyDelete