Friday, November 15, 2013

Book Beginnings - 11/15/13


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

********************

This week's Book Beginnings is taken from Bellman And Black by Diane Setterfield.  I actually finished the book this evening but am still going to use it as my book beginnings.

"Six days out of every seven the area along the Burford Road resounded with the clattering, booming, clanging, rattling, thundering noise of Bellman's Mill."

It is an OK read...but not bad. It has dark themes.

She also wrote THE THIRTEENTH TALE...LOVED IT.



****************
These are two books I read last week.  

ONCE WE WERE BROTHERS wasn't able to be featured because I read it in one day over the weekend so I am putting it below with the link to my review along with THE OUTCASTS that I featured on BOOK BEGINNINGS last week.


ONCE WE WERE BROTHERS  by Ronald H. Balson

This book would have been featured this week had I not finished it over the weekend, and it is one that I highly recommend.  No beginning lines, just the review.


THE OUTCASTS by Kathleen Kent

"A hard fall had come upon Lucinda, throwing her to the floor of her bedroom, chafing an elbow and bruising the skin on one cheek.  It had happened on a Monday, so that when the dizzying waves came over her again on the following Wednesday, she stood with her back pressed flat against a door for balance, and her hands balled at her sides."



WHILE YOU ARE HERE, STOP BY MY "GUESS THE DESK" GIVEAWAY AT THIS LINK


10 comments:

  1. It sure sounds like a great read!!

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I' ve been curious about Bellman and Black...and Outcasts sounds good, too. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved The Thirteenth Tale! Sounds like this one is good--but maybe not quite as good as Thirteenth...

    Here's my Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read Bellman and Black, I loved The Thirteenth Tale but wasn't as impressed with this one.
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The feedback on Bellman and Black is quite mixed, but I'm planning to give it a try.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/11/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wondering about Bellman and Black as I liked The Thirteenth Tale. It seems people don't think it's as good as that one though. Maybe I'll just see if the library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth,

    I shall also be featuring Bellman & Black in due course, although I am a little worried that the eager anticipation to get stuck into the book, has been tempered by the rather mixed reception it has received.

    The Outcasts sounds like an excellent read and one which you obviously enjoyed. Those first lines really do paint a picture and make me want to know exactly how 'the hard fall had come upon Lucinda'... accidentally or purposely?

    Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have it on my TBR pile. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Loved the guess the desk contest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That happens to me frequently, in that I enjoy a book and get another by the same author and it doesn't measure up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I was excited by the synopsis for Bellman & Black but have since read mixed reviews. The opening is lyrical but not attention grabbing...

    ReplyDelete