Friday, November 22, 2013

Book Beginnings - 11/22/13



*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

*****************
This week's Book Beginnings is taken from WAKE by Anna Hope.  It is a time period that I really enjoy.  

"Hettie rubs her sleeve against the misted taxi window and peers out.  She can't see much of anything; nothing that looks like a nightclub anyway, just empty, darkened streets.  You wouldn't think they were just seconds from Leicester Square."


****************
These are two books I read last week.  

Bellman And Black by Diane Setterfield. 

It is an OK read...but not bad. It has dark themes.

She also wrote THE THIRTEENTH TALE...LOVED IT.



 Tahoe Chase by Todd Borg

A good read.





13 comments:

  1. Happy Reading!!

    And...thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... Hettie doesn't seem too excited as to her whereabouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping, Ruth.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoy this time period and setting, and will be adding Wake to my TBR list.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/11/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love Borg's Tahoe mystery series. Wake sounds like a good one too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a bit confusing, Catherine.

    I love this time period too, but was disappointed.

    Let me know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He does write GREAT books.

    THANKS for stopping, Harvee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the cover and opening of Wake. I want to know more.

    Thanks for posting the opening on BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will send you my review, Gillion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THANKS for stopping, wordsandpeace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Elizabeth,

    This is a definite for my reading list, as the book I am currently reading is also about the World War 1, from the perspective of the women left behind. It is so good, that I am really getting into writing set in this time period and this book will carry on the theme very well.

    Hettie is obviously disappointed with the lack of life in the City, although this would have been so indicitive of wartime restrictions, which carried on long after the actual fighing was over.

    Thanks for sharing this book and have a good weeekend,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANK YOU for stopping, Yvonne.

    Your comments are always so thoughtful and complete.

    ReplyDelete