Friday, November 8, 2013

Book Beginnings - 11/8/13



*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

********************

This week's Book Beginnings is taken from Outcasts by Kathleen Kent.

"A hard fall had come upon Lucinda, throwing her to the floor of her bedroom, chafing an elbow and bruising the skin on one cheek.  It had happened on a Monday, so that when the dizzying waves came over her again on the following Wednesday, she stood with her back pressed flat against a door for balance, and her hands balled at her sides."


********************
This book is one I featured last week, and it is worthy of being mentioned again.

Gracianna by Trini Amador



It is a beautiful, intriguing story about the author's great-grandmother's life before, during, and after WWII.

This book was wonderful!!!

I can't post my review on my blog yet because I am on a tour for Gracianna.  My review will be on my blog on November 22.

It is on Goodreads, Amazon, Shelfari, LibraryThing, etc., though.

I hope you get to read it.

12 comments:

  1. ENJOY your weekend.

    Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting opening for Outcasts! I hope Lucinda is okay...

    Been seeing Gracianna on GR quite a bit lately, glad to hear it was a really great read :)

    My Friday Book Memes

    ReplyDelete
  3. The introduction to Outcasts is intriguing...I'd have to read on to learn more.

    What I'm reading: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/11/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_8.html

    Catherine @ Book Club Librarian

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS for stopping by, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS for stopping, Kelsey.

    It is a bit slow, but getting good toward the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One must wonder what caused Lucinda's episodes!

    I decided to start hopping along with Book Beginnings on Fridays, thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you decided to join because of me.

    WELCOME!!!!

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting start. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting beginning- dizzy spell? The cover caught my eye though, with her holding the gun behind her back. Looks very interesting!

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping, Greg.

    The cover pulled me in, but it wasn't that good. Beautiful writing, but:)

    Review is coming up today.

    ReplyDelete