Friday, December 27, 2013

Book Beginnings - 12/27/13


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

*****************
This week's Book Beginnings is taken from AFTER I'M GONE by Laura Lippman.

"They left at dusk, about an hour before the fireworks were scheduled, and by the time they were at the old toll bridge over the Susquehanna, Felix could see glimmers of light through the one tiny window, little celebrations everywhere."


I am not too far into the book yet, but it is a bit confusing.  

I am sure it will become less confusing and good like all of her books.

*****************
These two books are worthy of mentioning again especially since I didn't get to feature the Wiley Cash book last week.  

THIS DARK ROAD TO MERCY by Wiley Cash.

"Wade disapppeared on us when I was nine years old, and then he showed up out of nowhere the year I turned twelve.  By then I'd spent nearly three years listening to Mom blame him for everything from the lights getting turned off to me and Ruby not having new shoes to wear to school, and by the time he came back I'd already decided that he was the loser she'd always said he was."


http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2013/12/this-dark-road-to-mercy-by-wiley-cash.html

*****************
Jubilee's Journey speaks for itself.  
It is WONDERFUL!!

"On an icy cold November morning in 1956, Bartholomew Jones died in the Poynter Coal Mine.  His death came as no surprise to anyone.  He was only one of the countless men forever lost to the mine.  They were men loved and mourned by their families, but to the world they were faceless, nameless people, not worthy of mention in the Charleston Times."



If nothing else gets you, but I know it will, the cover is enough to draw you right in.  Don't miss this book and any of Ms. Crosby's books.

My review will be up on January 2 on my blog, but it is on Goodreads at this time.

If you haven't read her book THE TWELFTH CHILD, you should.  Very heartwarming as all of her books.

****************






22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday!!!

    Looking forward to seeing everyone's book beginnings.

    More books to add to my toppling TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two good books, on my list to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit that opening did not catch me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The opening sentence was awfully long and a little disjointed, but I would keep reading. When I saw Susquehanna, it made me stop and try to remember the location of that river. If I were reading the book, I'd have to look it up before I could go any further!
    My Friday post is from THE WHISKEY BOTTLE IN THE WALL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will love Jubilee's Journey, Harvee.

    The Dark Road to Mercy was good as well.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the title: The Whiskey Bottle In The Wall.

    Quite an interesting title.

    THANKS for stopping, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, JC. Love your honesty.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed After I'm Gone...and looking forward to Jubilee's Journey, which I won in a giveaway! Yay!

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST


    ReplyDelete
  11. All three books look very good.

    Thanks for participating in BBOF! Here's to another new year of good books and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANKS for stopping, Gilion.

    I always enjoy your Friday meme.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

    I am finally getting into After I'm Gone. It was a bit confusing at first.

    You will LOVE Jubilee's Journey. Can't wait to see what you thingk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All three look quite interesting, especially This dark road to mercy. I may have to check that one out. Thank you so much for stopping by and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. THANKS for stopping, readatallhours.

    I liked This Dark Road To Mercy. I hope you get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like an interesting collection of books. There are SO many good books to read and never enough time!
    Happy reading in the New Year!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping, Pooch.

    I know...not getting to read ALL of them is so disappointing.

    I guess we have to read what we can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Every single one of these would draw me in ... Ms. Lippman's simply because she wrote it ..and the others because of those first lines. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. THANKS for stopping, Julie.

    I hope you get to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can't wait to read the new Wiley Cash book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for stopping, Lisa.

    I hope you get to read it. My review is posted if you want a sneak peak. :)

    ReplyDelete