Friday, January 3, 2014

Book Beginnings - 1/3/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.


*****************
This week's Book Beginnings is taken from AFTER I'M GONE by Laura Lippman.

I was still reading the same book until Thursday evening so it will still be my "book beginnings" post.  The review is on my blog on January 30.


"They left at dusk, about an hour before the fireworks were scheduled, and by the time they were at the old toll bridge over the Susquehanna, Felix could see glimmers of light through the one tiny window, little celebrations everywhere."


*****************
These two books are worthy of mentioning again.


Jubilee's Journey speaks for itself.  
It is WONDERFUL!!

"On an icy cold November morning in 1956, Bartholomew Jones died in the Poynter Coal Mine.  His death came as no surprise to anyone.  He was only one of the countless men forever lost to the mine.  They were men loved and mourned by their families, but to the world they were faceless, nameless people, not worthy of mention in the Charleston Times."



If nothing else gets you, but I know it will, the cover is enough to draw you right in.  Don't miss this book and any of Ms. Crosby's books.

If you haven't read her book THE TWELFTH CHILD, you should.  Very heartwarming as all of her books.

****************

THIS DARK ROAD TO MERCY by Wiley Cash.

"Wade disapppeared on us when I was nine years old, and then he showed up out of nowhere the year I turned twelve.  By then I'd spent nearly three years listening to Mom blame him for everything from the lights getting turned off to me and Ruby not having new shoes to wear to school, and by the time he came back I'd already decided that he was the loser she'd always said he was."


http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2013/12/this-dark-road-to-mercy-by-wiley-cash.html

*****************







13 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping everyone.

    It is NINE degrees here in Pittsburgh. It is going to be TWO degrees on Tuesday. BRRRRRRR.

    Happy Friday...Enjoy your Book Beginnings Hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet read a mystery by Laura Lippmann. Looking forward to reading one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Laura Lippman, and After I'm Gone was another good one. I'm now curious about the Wiley Cash book.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like I need to add Laura Lippman to my list of favorite authors. I'll read these books.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: A GOOD HOME.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful beginnings. I would love to go on!

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Laura Lippmann title is on my wishlist. I have "This Dark Road to Mercy" as an eGalley from Edelweiss (mainly thanks to your opinion of it) - I can't wait to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANKS for stopping, Julie.

    Thanks also for the compliment about my opinion helping you decide on a book.

    You will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANKS for stopping, gautami.

    I hope you get to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANKS for stopping, Sandra.

    Laura Lippman is a good author. I hope you get to read something by her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tea norman...I hope you get to read one of her books.

    I'd Know you Anywhere was a good one.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Wiley Cash book was very good, Laurel.

    I hope you get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you have made excellent selections with those compelling beginnings. Enjoy and Happy New Year!

    :)

    ReplyDelete