Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Three Questions with Chloe Coscarelli



Chloe Coscarelli is a graduate of the Natural Gourmet Institute of Health and Culinary Arts NYC, the University of California, Berkeley, and Cornell University’s Plant-Based Nutrition Program.  The author of Chloe’s Kitchen and Chloe’s Vegan Desserts, and creator of ChefChloe.com, she lives in New York City and Los Angeles.

1) Do you have any tips for satisfying a sweet tooth but also eating healthy?

If I want to go beyond the fresh fruit route and sink my teeth into something gooey and decadent, then peanut butter and chocolate is my go-to combination. The peanut butter has protein, which makes me feel full and satisfied, and the dark chocolate seals the deal. My buckeye recipe from my book, Chloe’s Kitchen, is extremely easy.  I keep a batch rolled, dipped, and ready in the freezer at almost all times.

2) Why is eating vegan healthier for you?

A plant-based diet is naturally healthier because it does not have saturated animal fat and cholesterol.  A vegan diet avoids all animal products such as milk, eggs, meat, and cheese, that are loaded with fat and calories.  So many people have told me that since going on a vegan diet, they have lost weight, have more energy, and eat more food than they have ever eaten before.  Vegan food has gone way beyond boring lentil loafs and sprout sandwiches.

My books contain recipes such as fettuccine alfredo, chocolate molten cake, sliders, pizzas, creamy artichoke dip, and more.  No deprivation here!  Vegan food is every bit as gourmet and delicious as traditional animal-based recipes, and you don’t have to feel guilty going for seconds.

3) What are some good snacks for staying energetic throughout the day?

Eating healthful snacks throughout the day is a good way to keep your metabolism stable and keep your energy from dipping.  I eat all kinds of nuts such as almonds, cashews, and walnuts, to help keep hunger pains at bay.  If I want something a bit more substantial, I adore avocados, which I can eat plain or spread on some really good seeded wheat bread.  I sprinkle a little salt and red pepper flakes, and I’m good to go!

Chloe’s Vegan Desserts by Chloe Coscarelli is on sale now.

 

5 comments:

  1. ENJOY this post.

    Everything sounds so delicious, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that over the past couple of years I've grown to appreciate good vegan recipes. I don't eat vegan all the time, but I'm lactose intolerant and I don't eat red meat or pork. Because I can't have dairy, vegan cooking has been a lifesaver! I'll have to check the cookbook out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS for stopping, Lizzie.

    I love veggies as well. Rarely eat meat.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not vegan but I do try to find creative ways to eat veggies. Sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete