Thursday, February 27, 2014

Book Beginnings - 2/28/14


I haven't participated for a number of weeks because my mom had a stroke, and things have been crazy around here.  She is still in the hospital and having therapy, but it will be a long recovery.

I am glad I had some time tonight to write my post.  I will try to visit as many blogs as I can.  I love finding new titles. 

*****************

*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

*****************
This week's Book Beginnings is taken from THE MIDNIGHT ROSE by Lucinda Riley.

I always like Ms. Riley's books.  This book is different from her other books.  Not too far into it, but not bad.



"I am a hundred years old today.  Not only have I managed to survive a century, but I've also seen in a new millennium.


As the dawn breaks and the sun begins to rise over Mount Kanchenjunga beyond my window, I lie on my pillows and smile to myself at the utter ridiculousness of the thought.  If I were a piece of furniture, an elegant chair for example, I would be labeled an antique."

 *****************
The Fever Tree is also worthy of mentioning along with the giveaway that ends today, February 28.


This book was wonderful.


THE FEVER TREE is truly a sultry book you won't want to put down and one you will remember long after you turn the last page.

THE FEVER TREE is a beautiful combination of historical fiction and a passion for life, for causes, and dreams.  Don't miss this mesmerizing debut novel.


*****************









23 comments:

  1. ENJOY whatever book you are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your Mom continues to get better. Thanks for sharing the books you are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your reads. I haven't joined in a few weeks either. Nice you're back. Wish your mum well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your mom. I'll pray for a smooth recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes to your Mum and I hope she continues to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Midnight Rose sounds really good! I hope you enjoy it as much as her other novels!
    Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend

    My Friday Post

    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Best wishes for her recovery. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about your Mom. I went through that in the winter of 2009 with my mom. It was intense. Isn't it lucky that we have books to read? Best wishes for her and you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the opening to THE MIDNIGHT ROSE, and I'm so glad you were able to participate in today's Book Beginnings meme.I hope your mother continues to improve and eventually recover completely from her stroke. Healing thoughts going your way!
    Here's the link to my Friday post: WILD.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you and your mom and sending warm thoughts for a smooth recovery her way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THANKS, JC. She has a long road ahead but we know she will get better.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back to you too, Lindsay.

    Thanks about my mom.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. THANKS for stopping, Juli. I am still waiting for it to GRAB me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gautami...thanks for stopping.

    I hope you get to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. THANK YOU, Pat.

    THANKS for the kind thoughts and for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judy...it is so difficult.

    I haven't had too much luck with finishing too many books, though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Midnight Rose is coming along. I am sure it will grab me soon.

    THANKS, Sandra. I hope you get to read it.

    ReplyDelete