Thursday, February 13, 2014

How Do A Few Atria Authors Feel About Valentine's Day?


Jenn Crowell: Hallmark hype aside, I never pass up an opportunity for child-free date night and extravagant dessert. And our coupled tradition? Me jokingly yelling “Where’s my bling, husband?” every February 14th. (I am the least bling-y person you will ever meet. My favorite V-Day gift was a multicolor set of fine-tip Sharpies.)

Liz FentonEven though I haven’t been single in over 15 years, I still hate on V-day–it makes people without someone special feel unworthy and brainwashes husbands and boyfriends everywhere that they key to their women’s heart is an overpriced pre-fixe menu and a box of Russel Stover chocolates.  Thanks but no thanks!

Jamie McGuire: I’m a fan! My anniversary happens to be on that date, so it’s especially special for us.

Taylor Jenkins ReidI went on a date with a man once that involved a new Thai restaurant, red velvet cake, and watching Purple Rain. All signs pointed to a perfect first date. But the fact of the matter was that it was a forgettable evening. A month later, I went on a date with a guy that showed up wearing jeans in a hideous shade of purple and with no real plan for what we would do that night. We ended up walking down the street to a restaurant I’d been to plenty of times before. There was no cake and no Prince. To anyone looking in from the outside, it was an entirely boring evening. And yet, it was, hands down, the best night of my life.

This Valentine’s Day is our fifth. We will order take out. We will watch Netflix. We will sit on the sofa in our sweatpants. To anyone looking in from the outside, it will be an entirely boring evening. But I have no doubt it will be one of the best of my life.

K.A. Tucker:  My husband and I aren’t big romantics but we do acknowledge Valentine’s Day. I will rush out to find the perfect witty card and inevitably leave the store with one that has a close-up of an ugly dog on the front and nothing remotely clever inside. I do it every single year. Finding new dogs has become quite the challenge. I really hope companies never stop making ugly dog cards.


JENN CROWELL 

Jenn Crowell is the critically acclaimed author of the novels Necessary Madness and Letting the Body Lead.  She holds an MFA in creative writing and lives near Portland, Oregon, with her husband and daughter.
CrowellJenn

Etched cover


Etched on Me by Jenn Crowell is on sale now
LIZ FENTON 

Liz Fenton lives in San Diego, CA with her husband and two children.  She and Lisa Steinke have been best friends for 25 years and survived high school and college together.  They co-wrote Your Perfect Life.  
_DSF4017b

cvr9781476730585_9781476730585_lg

Your Perfect Life by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke is on sale June 10, 2014

JAMIE MCGUIRE

Jamie McGuire is the New York Times bestselling author of five other novels: Walking Disaster, Beautiful Disaster, Providence, Requiem, and Eden.  She and her husband, Jeff, live with their children just outside Enid, Oklahoma, with three dogs, six horses, and a cat named Rooster.  Please visit her at JamieMcGuire.com.

Jamie

Beautiful Oblivion_title reveal

Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire is on sale July 1, 2014 

TAYLOR JENKINS REID

Taylor Jenkins Reid is an author and essayist living in Los Angeles.  Before becoming a writer, she worked in entertainment and education.  This is her first novel.

 11355_408067962
cvr9781476712826_9781476712826_lg

Forever Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid is on sale now

K.A. Tucker published her first book at the age of six with the help of her elementary school librarian and a box of crayons.  Today, she remains a voracious reader, and currently resides outside of Toronto with her husband, two beautiful girls, and an exhausting brood of four-legged creatures.
KATuckerPhoto

  TTB

Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker is on sale now
OneTinyLie

One Tiny Lie by K.A. Tucker is on sale now

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! K.A. Tucker's Valentine Card hunt is exactly like my husband's and mine. We try to find the best card with a dog on it (ugly or cute)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute, Nise.

    THANKS for stopping. I hope this made your day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I favor cards that feature monkeys that I give my husband for almost any special occasion! We aren't big Valentine's Day observers--he says he's still coasting on the year he made me a big heart covered with red glitter. I didn't know he knew what glitter was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS for stopping, Teresa.

    How cute, Teresa. That is sweet.

    ReplyDelete