Friday, March 7, 2014

Book Beginnings - 3/7/14


Mom did well today with her therapy.  We were cheering.  That helped her feel more confident.

I will try to visit as many blogs as I can.  I love finding new titles. 

I still haven't finished a book so my post has the same two books as last week.  Some day my life will be back to normal.

*****************

*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

*****************
This week's Book Beginnings is taken from THE MIDNIGHT ROSE by Lucinda Riley.

I always like Ms. Riley's books.  This book is different from her other books.  It is getting quite good...diaries and finding the history of a castle and its inhabitants is right up my alley.  :)



"I am a hundred years old today.  Not only have I managed to survive a century, but I've also seen in a new millennium.


As the dawn breaks and the sun begins to rise over Mount Kanchenjunga beyond my window, I lie on my pillows and smile to myself at the utter ridiculousness of the thought.  If I were a piece of furniture, an elegant chair for example, I would be labeled an antique."

 *****************
The Fever Tree is also worthy of mentioning along with the giveaway that ends today, February 28.


This book was wonderful.


THE FEVER TREE is truly a sultry book you won't want to put down and one you will remember long after you turn the last page.

THE FEVER TREE is a beautiful combination of historical fiction and a passion for life, for causes, and dreams.  Don't miss this mesmerizing debut novel.


*****************









11 comments:

  1. I hope you had a good reading week.

    I actually got some reading done. THE MIDNIGHT ROSE is good.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your mom is doing better!

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/03/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news about your mom!

    The Midnight Rose sounds captivating. Enjoy your weekend.

    Here's MY FRIDAY POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear your mom is doing better. Sounds like you're providing plenty of good support!
    Both books in your post sound like good ones. I'd definitely like to read the story of a 100-year-old woman.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: THE MERMAIDS SINGING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your Mother continues to get better. Your reading will catch up when you have time. Here is my post: Mixed Book Bag

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANKS, JC.

    We are hopeful. One step forward is hopeful.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANKS for stopping, gautami.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANKS for stopping, Catherine, and thanks for the good thoughts about mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANKS for stopping, Laurel.

    The Midnight Rose is very good, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THANKS for stopping, Sandra. We are hopeful with Mom.

    The hundred-year-old woman has a great story. I hope you get to read THE MIDNIGHT ROSE.

    ReplyDelete