Friday, April 25, 2014

Book Beginnings - 4/25/14

 


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

 *****************
This is the same as last week.  :)
Didn't finish a book!!
Have a great weekend.

 *****************

This week's Book Beginnings is taken from Ember Island by Kimberley Freeman.

I actually finished this book around noon today.  :) The Link is the book's title above.  LOVED it.

"June sunshine blessed Tilly Kirkland's wedding.  Only the luckiest brides married in June, and Tilly could not believe how lucky she had been."


Even though it sounds like a romance novel, it is a book about finding secrets hidden in an old homestead.  I love books like that.  :)  


 *****************

THE FORGOTTEN SEAMSTRESS is a book I finished last week.  



It was wonderful.   

My full review can't be posted until May 30, but here are the last few lines from my review.


"A quilt with a history.  A quilt containing royal cloth.  A quilt spanning a number of years.  A quilt that told a story.

If you enjoy reading family history and the history of family heirlooms created by a past generation and found by the present generation, you will definitely enjoy THE FORGOTTEN SEAMSTRESS.

The writing is flawless, the characters are lovable and unforgettable, the storyline will definitely hold your interest until the last page.  And...the last few pages will have you glued to each word.​ 5/5"



*****************

15 comments:

  1. I am almost finished with Ember Island.

    It is VERY good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Beginning, it sounds so hopeful and happy! Although marriage is rather far away for me, June is looking like a good month ;)
    Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished EMBER ISLAND. Loved it.

    Review will be up in a bit.

    THANKS for stopping, Juli.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both books captured my imagination. Since I'm a quilter, THE FORGOTTEN SEAMSTRESS is definitely appealing. I'll be watching for your review.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: RESCUE MY HEART.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

    Review for EMBER ISLAND is up.

    May 30 THE FORGOTTEN SEAMSTRESS will be up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful beginning to Ember Island and I love the colorful cover art! Thanks for visiting me @ The Key to the Gate.
    Happy Reading and have a great weekend!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth,

    Some great opening lines, from what was for you, obviously a big hit of a story. I am guessing that Tilly wasn't all that lucky with her June wedding, which doesn't make me feel so unlucky about having been married in April!

    'The Forgotten Seamstress' is still on my TBR list, although when I shall ever get to it, I have no idea!

    A couple of excellent books featured this week, I love this kind of post, although I can hear my poor TBR shelves already groaning under the weight.

    Have a great weekend,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. The opening line for Ember Island sounds fantastic, a wonderful wedding indeed. Thanks for dropping by my blog earlier, have a wonderful weekend :)

    My Friday Book Memes

    ReplyDelete
  9. These both sound wonderful....I, too, love finding out about secrets.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The book was very good. I love when books go back and forth in time.

    THANKS for stopping, Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My shelves are groaning quite badly. :)

    You will like both books. Good you are an April bride. :)

    THANKS for stopping, Yvonne.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  12. justcaffeinated....thanks for stopping.

    The book was good. More mystery than a love story even though there was some romance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Secrets are great especially when they are from one generation to the next. :)

    THANKS for stopping, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the sound of the Forgotten Seamstress! Going to look it up on Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Forgotten Seamstress was really good, guiltless reader.

    I hope you get to read it.

    ReplyDelete