Friday, May 16, 2014

Book Beginnings - 5/16/14




*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

 *****************
This week's book beginnings is taken from A LONG TIME GONE by Karen White.

"I was born in the same bed that my mama was born in, and her mama before her, and even further back than anybody alive could still remember.  It was as if the black wood of the bedposts were meant to root us Walker women to this place of flat fields and fertile soil carved from the great Mississippi."

I am on page 110...the book is excellent as all of Karen White's books.

*****************
Books read and reviewed last week and worthy of mentioning.

CHATEAU OF SECRETS by Melanie Dobson.


"Candlelight flickered on the medieval walls as Gisele Duchant stepped into the warmth of the nave. The shadows in the sacristy were the only witnesses to her secret--no one but she and Michel knew the same small room that stored the vestments and supplies for their family's chapelle was also a hiding place."

Review is in the book's title above.

 *****************

If you enjoy mysteries, you will enjoy EVERYTHING TO LOSE by Andrew Gross.
 

My review is in the book's title above. 



 *****************

AND another giveaway below:


Giveaway courtesy of Christopher Smith of Penguin Group

USA ONLY

Enter here 

Contest ends May 19

*****************


27 comments:

  1. I hope you are reading a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read other books by Karen White and enjoyed them, so I'm sure I'd like this one too. Besides, I like books about the South. Great opening that makes me want to know more about this character.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: DARLIN' IRISH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will LOVE this book then, Sandra.

    It is really good so far.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to get my hands on the Karen White book. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the open sentence to Karen White's book- it definitely makes me want to keep on reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very good and very Southern. I love it.

    THANKS for stopping, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get it soon, Laurel.

    It is very good.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds good, I like books set in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like books set in the South too.

    THANKS for stopping by, Samantha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of Karen White but I've seen that cover before! The beginning really sets you up for a historical story ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's quite a beginning! I don't think I've read any of Karen White's books before but I'll have to look for her. I've got Chateau of Secrets coming up in the next few weeks and am really looking forward to reading it. I'll have to go hop over to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I could think about was how gross the bed must be by now if that many children were born in it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great beginning. It really drew me in. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. THANKS for stopping, JC.

    It is good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha ha, Anne.

    I guess they meant the wood part not the mattress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Elizabeth,

    Your opening lines make this book sound like a real female family saga, with plenty of history and I sense, intrigue.

    Both Karen White and Melanie Dobson, are new to me authors, however both are now on my reading list. Your review of 'Chateau Of Secrets' was very good, by the way.

    Both books have received such good ratings and reviews that I can't really go wrong can I?

    The Andrew Gross is already on my radar, his books are terrific and I wouldn't miss one.

    Thanks for sharing your words and lines this week and I hope that your weekend is going well so far,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yvonne...you will love the Andrew Gross book as well as Chateau of Secrets. Thanks for the compliment on my review.

    A Long Time Ago is a family saga. I like it so far.

    THANKS for stopping as always, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's good to find out about new books and mysteries. Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just like the sound of the Dobson story so much. Thanks for the update

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds brilliant Elizabeth, great descriptive opening telling a good story already so far. Thanks very much for visiting and commenting on my book beginnings post too! Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is quite good...thanks for stopping, Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chateau of Secrets was very good, Mystica.

    I hope you get to read it.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Harvee Lau...thanks for stopping.

    I love finding new books especially mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been wanting to read A Long Time Gone and need to make time for it asap. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it. The beginning is so strong and descriptive! Thanks for visiting me @ The Key to the Gate.
    Happy Reading!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  25. THANKS for stopping, Rebecca.

    A Long Time Gone is quite good. I hope you enjoy it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. THANKS for stopping, Rose.

    It is quite good.

    ReplyDelete