Friday, May 2, 2014

Book Beginnings - 5/2/14



*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

 *****************
This book's beginning is taken from THE OTHER STORY by Tatiana de Rosnay.


"When Nicolas arrived at the Gallo Nero, he felt as if this was not a hotel, but someone's  home, a long ocher house with a dark red roof and green shutters.  Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, and Jaguars were parked farther off."

  

*****************

Giveaway of LOOKING FOR ME by Beth Hoffman until May 8.
Be sure to enter at the link in the book's title.  

Beth's book is amazing.

 *****************
A second giveaway of THE GREAT BROWNIE TASTE-OFF until May 8.
Enter here.


 *****************

THE FORGOTTEN SEAMSTRESS is a book I finished a few weeks ago, but wanted to feature it again.  



It was wonderful.   

My full review can't be posted until May 30, but here are the last few lines from my review.


"A quilt with a history.  A quilt containing royal cloth.  A quilt spanning a number of years.  A quilt that told a story.

If you enjoy reading family history and the history of family heirlooms created by a past generation and found by the present generation, you will definitely enjoy THE FORGOTTEN SEAMSTRESS.

The writing is flawless, the characters are lovable and unforgettable, the storyline will definitely hold your interest until the last page.  And...the last few pages will have you glued to each word.​ 5/5" 


 *****************
I also finished Ember Island by Kimberley Freeman.

It was an excellent read too.

My review is in the book's title.

Ember Island is a book about finding secrets hidden in an old homestead.  I love books like that.  :)

*****************


15 comments:

  1. I hope you are enjoying your reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With that beginning (referring to the hotel as being like someone's home)...it would have to be the home of someone much richer than me to have those sorts of cars parked nearby. :-)

    Hope you've enjoyed your books this week!

    Here is my Friday Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS for stopping by, Bev.

    The book is definitely different from Sarah's Key.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all sound wonderful. Thanks for sharing...and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all sound like books I'd enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANKS for stopping, Laurel.

    Both of the ones I read were excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to read Ember Island and The Forgotten Seamstress. I've seen Ember Island on Good Reads. I've never seen the title The Forgotten Seamstress any where. Really love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got some great books here. I already have The Forgotten Seamstress on my TBR and now and intrigued by The Other Story ... that beautiful cover, that title (so what is the "other" story) and that beginning makes me want to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both books are soooo good.

    I hope you get to read them Tea Norman.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very disappointed in The Other Story. I just couldn't get interested.

    I love the cover too, but the inside of the book just didn't work for me.

    You will LOVE The Forgotten Seamstress.

    ENJOY your reading week, and thanks for stopping by, guiltless reader.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you enjoy The Other Story; didn't know the author had a new one out! Nice reading!
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping, Harvee.

    The Other Story isn't as good as Sarah's Key. I actually couldn't continue reading.

    I was disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shame The Other Story didn't work out - the beginning was promising and the cover art is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joanne...thanks for stopping.

    I was very disappointed in The Other Story....I was looking for a fantastic read.

    ReplyDelete