Friday, June 13, 2014

Book Beginnings - 6/13/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

 *****************
This week's book beginnings is taken from DELICIOUS by Ruth Reichl.

I am halfway through DELICIOUS and am loving it.

"You should have used fresh ginger!" The words flew out of my mouth before I could stop them.  I glanced at Aunt Melba to see if she was upset, but she was looking at me with undisguised admiration.  "Why didn't I think of that!" 

*****************
Books read and reviewed last week and worthy of mentioning. 


THE FORGOTTEN SEAMSTRESS by Liz Trenow. 

Loved this book...my review link is in the book's title.

 *****************

THE EMPIRE GIRLS by Suzanne Hayes & Loretta Nyhan

This is a great book for those who like the Roaring 20's.  

I really enjoyed The Empire Girls.  I hope you do too if you read it.

My review is in the book's title.

 *****************

What have you read over the past few weeks that stayed with you and you had to let everyone know about? 

*****************



21 comments:

  1. I used to love cooking and baking with my grandmother because she was always happy with me trying new things! All of these sound like really fun reads! Thanks for sharing :) Enjoy your weekend!

    My Friday post

    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will LOVE Delicious, Juli.

    I hope you get to read it.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my eye on Delicious! Great cozy choice today. Enjoy the ones with a food theme.
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice choice, Elizabeth. I find Ruth Reichel fascinating.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/06/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_13.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy eating and my husband likes to cook -- a marriage made in heaven! I'm sure I'd enjoy DELICIOUS, as well as THE FORGOTTEN SEAMSTRESS (since I enjoy sewing and quilting). Thanks for introducing me to these two books. Now I'm off to read your reviews
    Here's the link to my Friday post: STELLA IN STILETTOS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picks!! Happy Reading!

    Here is my Book Beginning post!!

    AND

    Here is my Friday 56 post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am almost done with Delicious. It has such a great storyline.

    I hope you get to read it Harvee.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first book I read by Ms. Reichl, and I agree. She is fascinating. Great way to describe her writing and her book.

    It just flows beautifully with a storyline that is WONDERFUL.

    Thanks for stopping, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

    I hope my reviews make you want to read both books. They are both very good.

    You do have a great marriage!! Husbands who cook are the BEST. :)

    Mine cleans but doesn't cook, but can't complain. :)



    ReplyDelete
  10. guatami...thanks for stopping.

    I loved both books I featured and am loving Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that beginning. What fun cooking together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. JC...I love to cook, and it does sound fun to be cooking with a loved family member.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious looks tempting! Great excerpt, too. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is VERY good, Laurel. :)

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All three of these selections look like books I would really enjoy. I am definitely adding The Forgotten Seamstress to my To Read list. Thanks for visiting me @ The Key to the Gate. Have a great weekend!
    Happy Reading,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  16. You will love The Forgotten Seamstress, Rebecca.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do like ginger. Yum! I want to read Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I sooo wanted to be on the Delicious tour. Oh well. I have this, for sure, on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Elizabeth,

    Those opening lines are very descriptive, although I am assuming from them, that something is not tasting quite right about a dish they have prepared ... and of course, that may not be the case at all!

    I am not the world's best or most inventive cook, by any stretch of the imagination ... in fact it is something of a chore and which I don't enjoy at all!

    This probably really isn't a book I woul enjoy that much, given that it all sounds rather 'foodie', but you are obviously enjoying it and I shall look forward to your review.

    Thanks for sharing,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Yvonne.

    There is also a mystery and a discovery in the book too.

    You can see when you read my review. :)

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You will love the book, Tea.

    It has a little bit of everything for the food lover and the historical fiction lover.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete