Friday, July 18, 2014

Book Beginnings - 7/18/14



*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

 *****************

This week's book beginning is taken from The Mill River Redemption by Darcie Chan.  

I am on page 40.  I am really enjoying the book.  It is an engaging story.

"Josie DiSanti was starting over.  In the wide backseat of her station wagon, with her aunt Ivy behind the wheel and her daughters Rose and Emily asleep beside her, Josie bit down on her lip to keep awake.  It was two in the morning, and although she couldn't see much out of the window, she peered through the glass anyway.  To maintain her grip on reality, she needed to remember everything about this day."


*****************
Books read and reviewed last week and worthy of mentioning. 

Little Mercies by  Heather Gudenkauf

This book was FANTASTIC.  

Review is in the book's title.

Have you read Little Mercies yet?
 *****************

What have you read over the past few weeks that stayed with you and you had to let everyone know about? 

*****************




21 comments:

  1. This book is hard to put down. I love the storyline and the characters.

    I hope everyone gets to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this title before, but I am going to look into it further. I am curious as to what the plot is about. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book does sound good! Thanks for sharing and enjoy....

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the opening to this book. The author does such a great job of showing what her characters are doing, hinting at back story, and revealing a little bit about Josie's state of mind. I'll read this one for sure.
    Here's my Friday post: MURDER ON ASTOR PLACE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...she needed to remember everything about this day."

    I curious about what took place on this day!

    I'm almost done with Scorch Trials :) it's the only book that has been glued to my eyes this week. Thanks for sharing :)

    Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so good, Rita.

    I am having a difficult time putting it down.

    My review should be up sometime this week unless the publisher wants me to wait.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a homey, cozy read.

    Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will probably love it. The characters definitely make the storyline terrific.

    THANKS for stopping, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scorch Trials sounds different. Glad you like it.

    The book has a terrific storyline, Claudia.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great opening! I haven't seen this book but it does look like it'd be worth taking the time to find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am really loving it, Katherine.

    It is a nice cozy read.

    Review will be up this week unless the publisher requests my waiting until closer to the publication date.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been stuck in the world created by Ilona Andrews. I can't wait for the next book to be released :D

    My BB and 56 :) 

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know who Illona Andrews is.

    Isn't it great, though, when you find an author you like. ENJOY!!

    Thanks for stopping by, Fiza.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this new-to-me book and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is really good. I am almost done.

    Thanks for stopping, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your reviews and will add some of these books to my reading list. I'm following you now, too! You have one of the most beautiful banners at the top of your blog! WOW! I can't wait to look at other blog posts! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. THANK YOU so much for your lovely comments, Diane.

    I appreciate your thoughts.

    Thanks for stopping, and I hope you stop back often.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds good from the beginning. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The book was FANTASTIC.

    THANKS for stopping, Kathy Brady.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such an intriguing paragraph... I'm wondering why she must'nt forget that day. Little Mercies sounds like a good read, too, though I'm thinking it will be a tearjerker! ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Little Mercies is quite emotional, but very good.

    The Mill River Redemption was FANTASTIC.

    THANKS for stopping, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete