Friday, July 4, 2014

Book Beginnings - 7/4/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

 *****************
This week's book beginnings is taken from Sweet Water by Christina Baker Kline.

"I never really knew my mother's father.  So when I received the message on my answering machine from a magistrate at the Sweetwater courthouse asking me to attend the reading of his will, it was as if I'd won a prize in a contest I couldn't remember having entered."



I have only read ten pages, and it is wonderful already.

I loved The Orphan Train.

Does this sound like a book you want to read?

*****************
Books read and reviewed last week and worthy of mentioning. 

HUNTED is definitely a book that will keep you awake reading and awake because you will be afraid to go to sleep.  :)


Review is in the book's title.

 *****************

Would you want to read Hunted after reading my review?

What have you read over the past few weeks that stayed with you and you had to let everyone know about? 

*****************


24 comments:

  1. Happy Fourth!!

    ENJOY the fun and your reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved Orphan Train. Have to get my hands on this one.

    My post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/07/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Water is good.

    I hope you get to read it, Catherine.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Sweet Water and loved Orphan Train, too. Must move it up on the queue. Here's mine: “REAL MURDER”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Water should be to your liking, Laurel.

    I am almost done with it. It alternates between two characters, and tells the tale of the family. Very good.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good! Thanks for sharing! Here is my book beginning at Shut Up & Read

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Water sounds good, I haven't heard of this one before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This opening definitely made me want to read more, especially since I loved The Orphan Train. I'm ordering this book right now!
    Here's the link to my Friday post: SIX MONTHS IN MONTANA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is VERY good, Sandra.

    Let me know how you like it.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Samantha...I am really liking the book.

    Have you read Orphan Train?

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sound of this one! I haven't read any of her work but I've heard fabulous things about Orphan Train. I'll have to look for Sweet Water

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely book beginning. Sounds fascinating. I will add it to my reading list, which just get longer and longer.

    Happy 4th July!

    Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a new author to my but I like the sound of this one and the Orphan Train. Will have to check them out sometime :D

    my BB and 56

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is really good, Harvee.

    I am almost done. My Fourth of July Festivities have gotten in the way of completion. :)

    I hope I finish it tonight or at least tomorrow.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fiza...thanks for stopping.

    She is a very good author. Wonderful writing and great storylines.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lisbeth...thanks for stopping by.

    I am enjoying the book and loved The Orphan Train.

    ReplyDelete
  18. THANKS for stopping, Sheri.

    You will like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping, Samantha.

    It is coming out in July. She is a wonderful author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

    You will love both books.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That beginning sounds good, I will have to look that book up. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

    I hope you like the book when you look it up.

    ReplyDelete