Friday, August 22, 2014

Book Beginnings - 8/22/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

**There is a giveaway for WE ARE NOT OURSELVES here until August 28.**

 *****************
This week's book beginnings is taken from THE WINTER GUEST by Pam Jenoff.


"They're coming around again," Cookie says in a hushed voice.  Knocking on doors and asking questions."  I do not answer, but nod as a tightness forms in my throat."

THE WINTER GUEST is another WWII story beautifully told by Ms. Jenoff.

I love Pam Jenoff's books.  If you haven't read any of her books, you should look into them.  

I met her at the BEA. A lovely, lovely person.
*****************
Books finished and too good to not share.  My review will be up on September 12 for a TLC Blog Tour.

"I BEGINS. 


Dear Shilpa--I writes.  Belief me when I say not single day passing six years that I not thought of you.  How are you, my dearest? Then I takes the paper, roll it like a ball of dough and throws it across from the room."

I am halfway through THE STORY  HOUR, and Ms. Umrigar has written another thought-provoking book for us.

 *****************

THE HOUSE WE GREW UP IN by Lisa Jewell.

Wonderful book.  Review is in the book's title.



I enjoyed this book.  This family had a fun, different childhood and an eccentric mother.

 *****************
What are you reading that you can't keep to yourself?  :)

*****************




17 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by The Winter Guest opening...I have yet to read this author, but now I'm adding this one to my list.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE SILENT SISTER”

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a fantastic author.

    She wrote The Kommandant's Girl.

    Give her a try, Laurel.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Winter Guest has a great opening. I'm glad you are enjoying the book. It almost always makes a book better to have met the author. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

    All of her books are so good.

    Yes...very nice to meet an author and enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always attracted to books about WWII. Will I ever get tired of the topic? My Friday Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a WWII fan as well.

    Check my blog archives if you like. I have quite a few WWII books reviewed.

    Thanks for stopping, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am another WW II reader. I read the first lines of Winter Guest and my first thought was: in which occupied country does the book take place, Poland, The Netherlands, Belgium, France....?
    Enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is set in Poland.

    Great on another WWII fan. :) Check my archives for more books if you like.

    Thanks for stopping, ipsofactodotme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Winter Guest sounds like a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen The Winter Guest before and was curious about it and I'm even more intrigued by the opening and by the fact that you enjoyed it. I'm definitely adding it to my wishlist! And how fun to meet the author of a book you really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy WWII stories so much. Whether they are fiction or non-fiction, they fascinate me. So much of humanity was exposed in that era, both beautiful and unbeautiful. The cover for The Winter Guest is lovely too!

    Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  12. fredamans...I am about done with the book.

    It is very good.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any of Ms. Jenoff's books are good.

    The Kommandant's Girl is the first one I read.

    I am almost done with The Winter Guest, and it is very good.

    Thanks for stopping, Katherine P.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do enjoy WWII even though the atrocities are so heart wrenching.

    I don't know how the people endured all they had to go through.

    Thanks for stopping, Claudia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy WW II books, so thanks for sharing this new-to-me author and title.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are very welcome, Catherine.

    Pam Jenoff has written many good books.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're having some great reading lately, Elizabeth! The Winter Guest sounds really good .. and how cool to have met the author!

    ReplyDelete