Friday, August 29, 2014

Book Beginnings - 8/29/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.


This week's book beginnings is taken from NEVERHOME by Laird Hunt.

 "I was strong and he was not, so it was me went to war to defend the Republic.  I stepped across the border out of Indiana into Ohio.  Twenty dollars, two salt-pork sandwiches, and I took jerky, biscuits, six old apples, fresh underthings, and a blanket too."

I have only read two pages, and it seems interesting.
*****************
Books finished but can't keep to myself. 

THE WINTER GUEST by Pam Jenoff
 
THE WINTER GUEST is another WWII story beautifully told by Ms. Jenoff.

I love Pam Jenoff's books.  If you haven't read any of her books, you should look into them.  

This book was wonderful as well.  Review in the book's title.

 *****************
THE WISHING TIDE by Barbara Davis


Loved, Loved, Loved this book.

Review is in the book's title.

*****************


Another book I loved.

Review is in the book's title. 
 
 *****************
What are you reading that you can't keep to yourself?  :)

*****************




19 comments:

  1. I really had a good week of fantastic books.

    I hope you had a good week too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound good...and the others you showed us look wonderful, too. Thanks for sharing...and for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

    I did have a good reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the beginning! I'll have to check all your books out since they're all new to me.
    Here's My Book Beginning/Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Vicki.

    I liked all the books.

    Thanks for stopping, Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    A book(series) I'm reading and loving right now is the Arkansas Valley series (r. William Rogers)
    It's about horse wranglers and what all they went through. The first book (Toward A New Beginning) is the 2003 Christy Award Winner for "Excellence In Christian Fiction."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am wondering if this person is running away? Also, I am so happy you are enjoying your readings! I had a slump from May-July, it was awful! I was choosing terrible reads, but now, I am on a rollercoaster in cloud nine! :)

    Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a slump mid winter.

    It is awful...didn't like too much and couldn't get into reading.

    Thanks for stopping, Claudia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You read some interesting books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great books this week! I'm not sure that Neverhome grabs me Winter Garden is definitely on my TBR. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least there's sandwiches ... and clean underwear. Very compelling beginning!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true, guiltless reader. LOL!!

    Always have to have clean underwear, right?

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will have to read more, Katherine.

    It was raved about at the BEA so hopefully it is good.

    The Winter Garden was sooo good. I hope you get to read it.

    Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, JC.

    I do like the ones I pick.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping, Michelle.

    Your books sound good.

    ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Juliet's Nurse sounds really good. the mix of history and literature is very appealing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great books, Elizabeth. I am drawn to The Wishing Tide.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Wishing Tide was amazing, Catherine.

    Read it if you can.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you signed up for the giveaway, wordsandpeace.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete