Friday, August 8, 2014

Book Beginnings - 8/8/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

 *****************
This week's book beginnings is taken from THE HOUSE WE GREW UP IN by Lisa Jewell.


"The damp heat came as a shock after the chill of the air-conditioning that had cooled the car for the last two hours.  Meg slammed the door behind her , pushed up the sleeves of her cotton top, pulled down her sunglasses and stared at the house."

I am enjoying this book.  This family had a fun childhood and an eccentric mother.

*****************
Books finished and too good to not share.

I finished DON'T TRY TO FIND ME by Holly Brown.



"Don't try to find me.
I'll be okay.  I'll be better.
I love you.

Pretty scary what can happen with social media sites and young children.

My review is in the book's title.


 *****************

I finished THE WISHING TIDE a week ago. Review will be up on August 28.




It is a beautiful read.  There are chapter headings introducing each character.  

The story is taking place at a bed and breakfast during a severe storm with a mysterious guest.  

It is a marvelous read.  Great characters and a wonderful storyline.

 *****************
What are you reading that you can't keep to yourself?  :)

*****************




11 comments:

  1. I have The House We Grew Up In on my list...it looks very good!

    Here's mine: “BELZHAR”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying it. I have read about 100 pages.

    Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'The Wishing Tide' has an amazing cover, but I think I prefer the sound of 'The House We Grew Up In', because the beginning really reminds me of every single car journey this summer! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Juli. Isn't it great when you can connect to a scene in a book?

    The Wishing Tide was very good. You should check it out.

    Thanks for stopping, Juli.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so know that feeling of going from the nice air conditioned car to the heat of the day. Author captured it perfectly and now I really want to see where she is. Great Beginning share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANKS, Caroline.

    I love when the beginning lines make it a mystery that we want to solve.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The House We Grew Up In is on my wishlist. It looks interesting. The Wishing Tide sounds lovely as well but I think I'll probably end up passing on Don't Try to Find me. Great books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you will like both The Wishing Tide and The House We Grew Up In.

    THANKS for stopping, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The House We Grew Up In sounds promising!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is pretty good, fredamans.

    A family with an eccentric mother. :)

    I am enjoying it.

    THANKS for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liking the sound of it! Eccentric characters, yay, just hope it's not a caricature.

    ReplyDelete