Friday, September 12, 2014

Book Beginnings - 9/12/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

*****************
This week's book beginnings comes from LAST BREATH by Kimberly Belle.


"Some guy on Oprah last week said there is no such thing as an accidental lapse of memory.  That every phone call you forget to return, every errand you forget to run on the way home is a whisper of your subconscious."

That first line drew me in immediately.  I forget a lot of things lately. :)

*****************
Read last week and wanted to share.

Review is in the book's title.
FLIGHT OF THE SPARROW by Amy Belding Brown

It is an account of how folks had to live in Early, Puritan America.  It was a good historical book.
 *****************
What are you reading that you can't keep to yourself?  :)

*****************




18 comments:

  1. I like the beginning in the first book. The second not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

    Early America was a difficult time religious wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, what an intriguing idea...thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “MIDNIGHT BETRAYAL”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like that beginning! I want to know more about this story. Thanks for sharing! Another book for the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the beginning is inviting. I'm curious to know more! :)

    Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, Katherine.

    I love Book Beginnings, but it does add to my TBR stack.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Memory lapse is my middle name these days. LOL!!!

    Thanks for stopping, Claudia.

    Have you gotten to Flight of the Sparrow?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm forgetting things a lot lately... I think the first one sounds interesting! I just love the cover! :) I'm not a fan of historical fiction so the second one is not for me but I hope you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kiran...glad to see someone else is forgetful. :)

    The cover of Flight of The Sparrow is GORGEOUS. If you don't like historical fiction, then I would pass. It is about families too, but more history.

    Thanks for stopping, Kiran.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sucked in by your book beginnings, too. I do think there is something to it, unfortunately. Here are my quotes---Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely agree with the beginning lines.

    Strange, though.

    Thanks for stopping, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That beginning makes me run out to get the book. I like it. I always like to read about memory.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Topazshell...thanks for stopping.

    Memory is a very interesting subject.

    ENJOY your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great beginning. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping back, pictureperfectcooking.

    ENJOY your day and your reading weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Elizabeth,

    'The Last Breath' is already on my 'Want To Read' list, since reading about it in one of your earlier posts, so the first lines are confirmation that I have made the right decision.

    I too am getting a little forgetful lately, although I have put my lapses firmly down to my age! I spend more time retracing my steps to try and remember things, than I do actually moving forward some days!

    I read into your first lines that everything I forget to do, is really a very subconscious decision I have made, not to do it and I am simply using my memory lapse as an excuse ... I am not convinced that this isn't so far away from the truth of the matter, especially when it comes to household chores!

    No chores this weekend though, we have been making the most of the late summer sunshine, now tired, happy and ready for my bed, even though it is only 10.30pm

    Hope that your weekend was good also and that you are well.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is chilly here. I want summer back. I like the hot and humid days. :)

    LOL...I totally agree with you that subconsciously we don't want to do what we forget.

    I like those first lines too.

    Thanks as always for stopping, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete