Friday, October 17, 2014

Book Beginnings - 10/17/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from AN UNSEEMLY WIFE by E. B. Moore.

"A shadow on the sun should have marked the day the way God marked Cain, a warning to Ruth her quiet world would soon be cast asunder."

I am almost done with AN UNSEEMLY WIFE.  It is great historical fiction, but a bit slow.  It is sad too.


***************
Books From The Last Two Weeks that I wanted to share.  

THE WONDER OF ALL THINGS by Jason Mott.




Not the greatest book, but not bad.  Review is in the book's title.

CROOKED RIVER by Valerie Geary

I LOVED this book...read it if you can. 
 
Review is in the book's title.
***************
What are you reading that you can't keep to yourself?  :)

***************








15 comments:

  1. I hope you had a great reading week.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy historical fiction, so I'd probably like An Unseemly Wife, even if it is slow. I'm also intrigued by Crooked River, especially since you loved it. I'll definitely read both books.
    My Friday post features NOT YET.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

    You will love Crooked River.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A shadow on the sun should have marked the day the way God marked Cain.."

    Wow! Such a profound statement. I'm curious, that's for sure. Have a lovely weekend Elizabeth :)

    Here's mine:
    Sparrow’s BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really good at the end.

    Thanks for stopping, Claudia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I wonder why she is 'unseemly'. I'd have to sandwich this book in between some happier titles.

    2. Sorry you weren't overly impressed by the 2nd title.

    3. The name Crooked River reminds me of my FIL's country dirt road driveway...and the time it was washed out/away by a flash flood.

    #1 and #3 are going on my TBR! Have a great weekend, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your impressions of your latest reads. You've whet my appetite, and want to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is unseemly because she is of the Amish Fold and she does things out of the ordinary for them.

    Thanks for stopping, LuAnn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you get to read them, Catherine.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a very intriguing opening line! Is there a Amish theme to it? Happy Sunday and thanks for stopping by my blog!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes...it is an Amish theme.

    Thanks for stopping, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for stopping by, Kiran.

    ReplyDelete