Friday, October 24, 2014

Book Beginnings - 10/24/2014


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from CATTLE KATE by Jana Bommersbach.

"I never thought I'd die like this.  There's a bucketful of ways I could go.  Snake bite.  Thrown by Goldie.  Shot by a cowboy. Trampled by a steer. Freeze to death. Drown in the river. Come down sick.  Maybe an Indian attack, but this is already 1889 and I think the fight has been beat out of them."

It is a true story, and I enjoyed it.  My review is in the book's title.  

I just finished it today so I am still using it for my book beginnings.  :)



***************
Books From The Last Two Weeks that I wanted to share.  

My review will be up on October 30 for a tour with the publisher.  It is great historical fiction, but a bit slow.  It is sad too, but I enjoyed the book.

My review is on Goodreads and Amazon if you want to see it now.



THE WONDER OF ALL THINGS by Jason Mott.




Not the greatest book, but not bad.  Review is in the book's title.

CROOKED RIVER by Valerie Geary

I LOVED this book...read it if you can. 
 
Review is in the book's title.
***************
What are you reading that you can't keep to yourself?  :)

***************









22 comments:

  1. Crooked River was absolutely amazing! I see you're from Pittsburgh as well. I'm about 15 minutes north of the city. Nice to meet you, and wonderful mini review of these novels (:
    Morrighan @ Elysian Fields Reviews
    ( http://ufbooks.blogspot.com )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...I loved Crooked River.

    Thanks so much for stopping by, Morrighan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great recommendations! I enjoy reading true stories (especially about the Old West), so Cattle Kate is appealing, and I've heard good things about Crooked River too. More books for my TBR list!
    My Friday post features Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great beginning! Thanks for sharing...and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, an excellent choice Elizabeth :) I'm going to look into this one especially since it is a non-fiction novel!

    Here's mine:
    Sparrow’s BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was really good, Claudia.

    I think you will enjoy it.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was very interesting. I had never heard of her before.

    I am sure there are so many wonderful people with stories out there that we don't know about.

    The research pages at the end were great.

    Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting opening. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Here's mine:
    NYZE@everythingnyze

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping, Nyze.

    Cattle Kate was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cattle Kate sounds intriguing despite my usual non-fondness for Western set novels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting mix you have this week, Elizabeth. The Cattle Kate cover looks disturbing. Crooked River is on my TBR already and I have only heard good things about Jason Mott!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this looks interesting! I don't think I've heard of any of these before but I'll definitely have to look for Cattle Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you check it out. It was a very interesting account of how the West was settled.

    Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cattle Kate was hanged...that's why the cover is disturbing, Guiltless Reader. And she was hanged for no reason.

    I was excited to read about this woman. I had never heard of her before.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was a different kind of Western Set read.

    Let me know if you read it.

    Thanks for stopping, Kristen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let me know what you think if you read Crooked River, Sheila.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness what a list of different ways to leave this world! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL, Laura.

    I guess those are all the ways you could die in the West. :)

    Thanks for stopping, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's an interesting pick... Though i have to say I have a hard time adjusting to books that are not in the present time... Thanks for visiting by Friday post :)
    Book Maniac Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like going back in time. :)

    Thanks for stopping, Kiran.

    ReplyDelete