Friday, October 31, 2014

Book Beginnings - 10/31/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************


This week's book beginnings comes from THE PARIS WINTER by Imogen Robertson.

I actually finished the book last night, and my review is in the book's title, and my beginning is below.

It was SO good.  I hope you get to read it.


"The news of the suicide of Rose Champion reached  her fellow students at the Academie Lafond on a pale wintery morning a little before ten o'clock."

Love the cover - gorgeous.

The beginning is a bit slow, but the main characters are devious, cunning, and oh so evil. 

There are also characters who are comical and innocent.  They all make the book good.  :)

It is set during the Paris  flood of 1910.

*************** 
A book I wanted to share from last week.

CATTLE KATE by Jana Bommersbach

It is a true story, and I enjoyed it.  My review is in the book's title.  


***************






17 comments:

  1. Happy Friday.

    Thanks for stopping by my Book Beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover too! I have to admit anything with Paris in the title always intrigues me! Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing! :)

    Here’s my Book Beginning today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to see if my library has a copy of The Paris Winter.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/10/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can I pass up that cover? So gorgeous! That beginning definitely makes me curious. I'll definitely have to look for this one. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the book cover is darling, and who wouldn't want to visit an early 1900's Paris, France? A period during which the European arts began to take the center stage. I do hope you enjoy this one :)

    Here's mine:
    Sparrow’s BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the book, Claudia.

    Stop by and read my review.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was very good, Laura. A bit slow at first, but it kicked up a bit once it got started.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you get to read it, Catherine, and your library has it.

    The publication date isn't until November 18, though.

    Thanks for stopping by, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cover drew me in and the story didn't disappoint either.

    Thanks for stopping, Katherine P.

    I hope you get to read The Paris Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paris Winter looks lovely. Interesting opening. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Here's mine:
    NYZE@everythingnyze

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to read The Paris Winter...thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you will really like The Paris Winter, Laurel.

    Thanks for stopping back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was good, Nyze.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Elizabeth,

    I had already added this one to my own 'Want To Read' list, off the back of your MM feature and those first lines have definitely confirmed I made the right decision.

    There has to be a good reason for someone to commit suicide and I wonder how long she had been dead before being discovered!

    Morbid first thought I know, but it is an unanswered question unless I read on!

    Thanks for sharing and I hope that all is well with you.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. The book was very good.

    I will be looking forward to seeing what you have to say.

    Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Paris but haven't read any books set there apart from The Perfume! It would be so shocking if anyone at my university were to die so I can't imagine what it's like for the characters! Thanks for stopping by :) Have a great weekend!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  17. It actually turns out to be sort of a mystery. The book doesn't dwell on the suicide.

    Thanks for stopping, Julie.

    ReplyDelete