Friday, November 14, 2014

Book Beginnings - 11/14/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from A Woman's Choice by Annie Thomas.


"Clara felt her mother's hand trembling and gave it a hard squeeze.  The noise around them was overwhelming.  Seagulls screamed overhead, making occasional dives for deaf fish floating on the surface of the brown heaving water.  Men shouted and cursed each other fluently; the sound of the metal grinding on metal was banging and colliding in a cacophony of sound. Liverpool Docks at five o'clock in the morning in the year of 1901 was a melee of uniformed officials, cargo loading, and sea hardened crew with skin coarsened by years of Atlantic travel."

I have the e-book version.

*************** 
A book I wanted to share from last week.

WHAT THE LADY WANTS by Renee Rosen.





Historical fiction fans take note.  

You will love this book set in Chicago in 1871 when innovations and retail stores were beginning to surface.  

Big name companies are throughout the book and WHAT THE LADY WANTS focuses on the love affair between Delia Spencer and Marshall Field. 

My review is the book's title.  Check out this book trailer too. Both the review and the trailer will whet your appetite and make you want to know more.

***************

25 comments:

  1. The beginning nicely sets the scene, and I feel as though I'm there. Great cover, too. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE TWILIGHT HOUR”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how descriptive the beginning is. I really get a picture of the docks. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book is very descriptive. I am enjoying it.

    Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this time in history and especially London.

    It was a long trip over the Atlantic to New York back then. :)

    Thanks for stopping, Katherine P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, it sounds like a wonderful book. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Suko.

    It is a lovely read.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both books sound delightful! The author did a great job of setting the scene in A WOMAN'S CHOICE. I'd keep reading to find out what the two women were doing at the docks so early in the morning.
    My Friday post features THE 13 OF HEARTS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book is quite good, Sandra.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is very descriptive. The entire book is that way.

    A good read.

    Thanks for stopping, Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice description to start the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That beginning really draws you in! So descriptive it makes you feel you are there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am liking the book a lot.

    Great storyline.

    Thanks for stopping, guiltless reader.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And you used a terrific word.

    I love the word crisp...very descriptive.

    Thanks for stopping, Nyze.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a lovely, descriptive opening! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is a pretty good book.

    Thanks for stopping, Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I read enough historical fiction. I could get a realistic view in my minds eye of the setting of your book. Not bad for a few opening lines. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have What the Lady Wants on my wishlist and you have me curious about the other :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You will love them both if you like historical fiction and especially the 1920's and Chicago.

    Thanks for stopping, KimbaCaffeinate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Elizabeth almost every book you have shared I have wanted to read! This one is no exception! The beginning is so descriptive! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I put a review up this evening for A WOMAN'S CHOICE.

    Thanks, Laura. I hope you do get to read some of them.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very descriptive beginning, which drew me in immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The book was like that the entire way through.

    I enjoyed the book a lot.

    THANKS for stopping, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete