Friday, November 28, 2014

Book Beginnings - 11/28/2014


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from THE SILENT SISTER.

"I never expected to lose nearly everyone I loved by the time I was twenty-five.  I felt the grief rise again as I parked in front of the small, nondescript post office in Pollocksville."




THE SILENT SISTER is another excellent read by Diane Chamberlain.

I just finished it but left it as my book beginning. My review is in the book's title.

*************** 
This is from a book I finished last week and wanted to share.
 
THE BRACELET by Dorothy Love.

THE BRACELET is set in Savannah during the 1800's and is a mystery.  You also get to share in the Southern charm of that time and see how the wealthy lived.

I finished THE BRACELET last night.  I always write my reviews as I read so my review was ready to go, and the link to my review is in the book's title above and at the top of the post.
***************

13 comments:

  1. Interesting beginning. I'd read it if the novel was suspense or mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a mystery. Both are. Check the reviews.

    Thanks for stopping, Harvee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great opening lines! I loved this one...it was a favorite in the month I read it, and will be one of my Top Ten for the year.

    Here's mine: “CANCEL THE WEDDING”


    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific beginning! I hope you had a good Thanksgiving, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was quite good.

    I enjoy all her books.

    Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Suko. We had a very nice Thanksgiving.

    I hope you did too.

    The book was good.

    Thanks for stopping, Suko.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting beginning. I hope you enjoy the book.
    Sharon
    Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is quite an intriguing book. Thanks for dropping by my blog ♥

    BookBeginning@EverythingNyze

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Sharon, and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both books were good, Nyze.

    THANKS for stopping by, Nyze.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Elizabeth,

    Who wouldn't be intrigued enough by those first lines, to keep on reading ... even more so if, like me, you had also checked out the synopsis!

    I already have this book on my radar after 'Laurel-Rain' posted her review, recommending it so highly. Diane was the fisrt author my mother-in-law downloaded to her Kindle, some 5 years ago now and she was instantly hooked on her writing. As we share a download link, I have many of Diane's books in my Kindle archive folder, although I have yet to read any of them ... Too many books, so little time ... It's the same old story I'm afraid!

    Have a good weekend and thanks for sharing your lines this week.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true. Too little time. So many books.

    I hope you get to read one of her books. I think you will enjoy them.

    Thanks so much for stopping, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear what a sad beginning! My heart already aches for her! Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete