Friday, November 7, 2014

Book Beginnings - 11/7/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from WHAT THE LADY WANTS by Renee Rosen.



"She supposed she fell in love with him at the same time the rest of Chicago did.  The Great Fire had raged on for two days, and the flames didn't discriminate:  they devoured businesses and residences, mansions and shanties alike."

Historical fiction fans take note.  

You will love this book set in Chicago in 1871 when innovations and retail stores were beginning to surface.  

Big name companies are throughout the book and WHAT THE LADY WANTS focuses on the love affair between Delia Spencer and Marshall Field.  Do you recognize the name Marshall Field?  :)

*************** 
A book I wanted to share from last week.

THE PARIS WINTER by Imogen Robertson.

My review is in the book's title.

It was SO good.  I hope you get to read it.


Love the cover - gorgeous.

The beginning is a bit slow, but the main characters are devious, cunning, and oh so evil. 

There are also characters who are comical and innocent.  All the book's characters make the book something you will want to read.  :)

THE PARIS WINTER is set during the Paris  flood of 1910.
***************

21 comments:

  1. I am enjoying the book.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great beginning! I haven't read much historical fiction in the past few years, but now I'm thinking I should begin again. There is something so refreshing about stories from long ago.

    Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover is gorgeous! I so want to read this based off of your thoughts! Sounds really good! Thanks for sharing and happy Friday! :)

    Here's my book beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both books sound fascinating. I'm especially interested in WHAT THE LADY WANTS. Love historical fiction!
    My Friday post features DEAR SUGAR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT THE LADY WANTS is pretty neat and historical.

    You will love it if you like historical fiction, Sandra.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that beginning definitely caught my attention. The covers of both books are lovely.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping, Bea.

    I do love the covers...that is what attracted me to The Paris Winter in the first place.

    I love my covers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting book you got there :)

    Thanks for dropping by my blog ♥
    NYZE@everythingnyze

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Nyze.

    I am enjoying WHAT THE LADY WANTS, and I did enjoy THE PARIS WINTER.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you get back into historical fiction, Laurel.

    There have been so many good historical fiction books coming out lately.

    Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh...thanks, Laura.

    It always makes me happy to hear someone is going to read a book based on my comments.

    Thanks for stopping by, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't read a lot of historical fiction but that sounds like an interesting story. I hope you're enjoying it.
    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh...I am enjoying it very much.

    I should have the book done by the end of the weekend, and I should have my review done by Tuesday.

    THANKS for stopping, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this beginning and the cover! You have had absolutely the best covers lately! Looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent beginning! I used to live in Chicago, and LOVED shopping at Marshall Field - especially the candy department! Thanks for sharing this, and thanks for the blog visit this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never was in Chicago, but the store sounds magnificient from what I am reading in the book and from what I looked up.

    Thanks for stopping, JLS Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love my covers, Katherine. :)

    The covers are what make pull me in. :)

    My review will be up on Tuesday.

    Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like my kind of book. I'm adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So ... what DOES the lady want? I'm putting this on my TBR since I'd love to learn a bit more about Paris and the beginnings of fashion .... !

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you will like it, Catherine, if you like historical fiction.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The characters did go to Paris, but it is more about the development of Chicago, the Marshall Field store, and the love affair.

    What The Lady Wants was the motto of Marshall Field that made him famous.

    I hope you like the book, guiltless reader.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete