Friday, December 19, 2014

Book Beginnings - 12/19/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from THE SECRETS OF MIDWIVES by Sally Hepworth.


 
"I suppose you could say I was born to be a midwife.  Three generations of women in my family had devoted their lives to bringing babies into the world; the work was in my blood.  But my path wasn't  so obvious as that."

*************** 

I wanted to share this book from last week.


THE LONG WAY HOME by Louise Penny.



Louise Penny's characters and setting of all of her books is wonderful.  I would love to live in Three Pines with these characters.  :) 

Review is in the book's title.

15 comments:

  1. The book is good so far.

    ENJOY your day, and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed The Secrets of Midwives...a lot. Even though I have read other midwifery books. Each seems to have its own unique story. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE LIFE YOU’VE IMAGINED”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying it. I like how the chapters are the voice of each character.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  3. Both of these books sound like winners. I'm especially fascinated by midwifery and will definitely read The Secrets of Midwives.
    My Friday post features VIDAL’S HONOR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good so far.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  4. I have your Louise Penny review saved. She's an author I'd like to try so I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts. I really like the excerpt. There's something matter of fact in the tone that I think would be just right for this kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one I read of her books was The Brutal Telling. I read all of the others after that. :)

      As I mentioned, the characters are the best. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine P.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy all of Penny's books too, including this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely good books. Loved them all.

      Thanks for stopping, Harvee.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I enjoyed THE LONG WAY HOME, and I am enjoying THE SECRETS OF MIDWIVES.

      Thanks for stopping, Nyze.

      Delete
  7. Hi Elizabeth,

    Can you put me right with this story?

    I had assumed that this book was set in time a few decades ago, so was surprised when a couple of reviews indicated that it is quite an up-to-date story.

    I guess that my perception was a little coloured by the fact that three generations of the same family had followed each other into the midwifery profession, as that seems to be a trait which has long died out, with subsequent generations going off and forging new and unique career paths for themselves.

    It still sounds like a book I would enjoy, so yet another from my huge 'Want To Read' list.

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes back and forth in time, but it is current.

      I think you would enjoy it. It is a bit slow for the first 40 pages or so, but it is good. You hear more about their private lives than midwifery. It is a good women's fiction.

      Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      Delete
  8. Wow three generations!!? Amazing! Yeah I agree with her that it seems that she was born to be a midwife! Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was quite good. A wonderful women's fiction book.

    Thanks for stopping, Laura.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete