Friday, January 16, 2015

Book Beginnings - 1/16/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from ONE STEP TOO FAR by Tina Seskis.  A review will be up on February 2.


"The heat is like another person to push past as I make my way along the platform.  I board the train although I don't know whether I should, after all."

This book is being compared to AFTER I'M GONE, SISTER, BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP, AND THE SILENT WIFE.

It is slow and confusing, but the end is to be a surprise.

***************
This book was featured last week.  It was good and I wanted to share it with everyone.  The review is in the book's title.

THE SECRET OF MAGIC by Deborah Johnson.



"Gotcha! Joe Howard Wilson jerked and his hands went straight to his face, and then to his body, for his gun.  Groping.  Feeling.  Saying his prayers.  Checking to make sure that he was awake and what had happened in that forest in Italy, all the killing, was over."

There are two covers.  This is the cover I have, and I like it better.  :)

Anything with a typewriter on it, catches my eye.

The writing is beautiful, and the characters are authentic and likeable.








9 comments:

  1. I loved One Step Too Far...and I'm definitely curious about The Secret of Magic.

    Here's mine: “AFTER BIRTH”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Step Too Far was too mixed up for me.

      The Secret of Magic is good.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
    2. After I wrote that I loved One Step Too Far, I reread my review...and then I realized that I only liked it...and, in fact, felt tricked by some of the twists and turns.

      Delete
    3. It is difficult to keep things straight.

      It wasn't a favorite. Too much going on. There is a big surprise in the end, though. :) I guess you would call that the trick.

      Delete
  2. The writing doesn't grab me with One Step to Far and with all the twists and turns it sounds like it may be a little much. I'll pass on that but I'll have to check out The Secret of Magic. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not recommending One Step Too Far, Katherine. As I said, it wasn't that bad, it was a bit confusing. It had a good storyline, but something was missing. :)

      I am recommending The Secret of Magic, though.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Nyze.

      Have a great reading week.

      Delete