Friday, January 23, 2015

Book Beginnings - 1/23/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from DOCTOR DEATH  by Lene Kaaberol.

"It is snowing.  The snow falls on the young girl's face, on her cheeks, mouth, and nose, and on her eyes.  She does not blink it away.  She lies very still in her nest of snow, slightly curled up, with a fur coat covering her like a quilt."


The writing is beautiful.  The storyline is good, but there is something that seems slow.  Not sure what. 



8 comments:

  1. Great description in the opening, though the editor in me wants to remove the first sentence! I like the cover.
    My Friday post features FINDING SOUTHERN COMFORT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That beginning is beautifully descriptive. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a few slow books recently and find them extremely frustrating. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth,

    After reading Sandra's comment, I looked at that opening paragraph again and again and have to say that she is so right. The words are so much more effective without that opening line, which seems a little superfluous anyway.

    I did check this one out and was quite taken with the synopsis, however you are not the only one to comment on how slow it is, so I probably won't be adding it to my list.

    The author is generally noted for her YA fiction, so perhaps that has something to do with it. Also with Lene being a Danish writer, I wonder if the books have been translated, which might change to context of the words.

    I hope that you manage to finish this one and better luck finding your next 'must read' story.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The opening feels a bit overwritten to me, but the concept still pulled me in.
    If I Loved You. is my offering for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one to read yet... nervous you say it is slow, I think I am in the mood for quick :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice opening, very descriptive. I hope you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm wondering why she's in the snow. Is she hiding from something? Definitely pulls me in! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete