Friday, January 30, 2015

Book Beginnings - 1/30/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from THE POCKET WIFE by Susan Crawford:



"The ambulance is still miles away when Dana awakens to the near dark of evening.  It wails ribbon-thin in the smog over the highway as she opens her eyes where she lies sprawled across her couch in a suburb of Paterson, a stone's throw from Manhattan but a different world entirely."

THE POCKET WIFE is a thriller with exquisite descriptions.

I am enjoying the book. My review is scheduled for March 17.  

I like to have things done early.  :)

What are you reading?
 






18 comments:

  1. I am almost done with this book.

    Pretty good...a bit slow at first, but a very good story and amazing writing and description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading a YA called The Manager by Caroline Stellings. Quirky, funny, poignant, and fast-paced. A really good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally do not read YA, but this does sound fun.

      I like quirky and funny. Fast-paced and poignant are good too.

      Thanks for stopping, Elizabeth.

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued and want to find out more about this book.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/01/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_30.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good.

      Thanks for stopping, Catherine.

      Delete
  4. I loved this book...glad you are enjoying it, too. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “JUBILEE’S JOURNEY”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually was going to write to you and ask you if you had read it. I KNEW you would like it.

      Can't wait until the end to see what the real truth is. :)

      I loved Julilee's Journey.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  5. The opening sets an ominous tone, and the book's title intrigues me. I'd keep reading to find out more about Dana's world in the suburbs.
    My Friday post features A DARK & STORMY KNIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished it this evening. It was quite good.

      A difficult to solve mystery.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  6. The Pocket Wife sounds like a great story, one that might keep me up at night and I like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was difficult to put down, fredamans.

      If you like psychological thrillers, you will really enjoy The Pocket Wife.

      Thanks for stopping, fredamans.

      Delete
  7. I'm curious about this one. The premise sounds pretty interesting and I do love the beginning. I look forward to seeing your review of this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good. Just finished it tonight.

      The writing was excellent and very descriptive.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  8. I like the way she writes, very eloquent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her writing was marvelous. Very descriptive and beautiful.

      Thanks for stopping, Page.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I finished the book. It was good.

      Thanks for stopping, Nyze.

      Delete
  10. Oh that beginning has piqued my interest. I hope you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete