Friday, February 20, 2015

Book Beginnings - 2/20/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from WHISPER HOLLOW by Chris Cander.

 

"Myrthen's mother and father had carried more hopes than means with them when they crossed the Atlantic Ocean in the middle of January 1910.  Rachel Engel was just sixteen when she left her home and family in Saxony, Germany, brave and willing and fiercely in love with Otto Bergmann, but nonetheless glancing over her shoulder all the way to the southern short of the river Elbe, the gateway to the world."

I finished this book last night, but am still leaving it as my book beginnings.  I haven't started another book yet.

WHISPER HOLLOW was VERY good.  Historical fiction and women's fiction combined with strong female characters.

My review won't be posted until March 26.  I hope you stop back.

Love the cover.
**********

I didn't feature this book last week because I had just started it after last Friday's post, but it was soooo good, I am going to feature it here as a book you MUST add to your TBR stack.

A MEMORY OF VIOLETS by Hazel Gaynor.


I LOVED this book.  Review is in the book's title.  

My only comment is:  READ IT!! :)

 ***************
What are you reading?



19 comments:

  1. What are you reading that you are loving?

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Memory of Violets is already on my wishlist. I can't wait to get to it! I love the cover for Whisper Hollow and I just looked it up on GoodReads and added it to my TBR. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will enjoy both of them, Katherine.

      I agree the cover is beautiful.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  3. Whisper Hollow and A Memory of Violets both sound like books I'd enjoy. I like stories with strong female characters.
    My Friday post features CHRISTMAS CRACKER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love them both. Whisper Hollow has very strong female characters.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  4. Both books look very good! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good. I hope you enjoy them if you read them.

      Have a great weekend.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  5. I do love some good historical fiction! Sounds like a solid read. You're the second person who's raved about 'A Memory of Violets' on my feed this week! Thanks for stopping by my page.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If A Memory of Violets is something in a genre you enjoy, you will love it.

      Historical fiction is my favorite.

      Thanks for stopping, samannelizabeth.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I really enjoyed both books.

      Thanks for stopping, Stormi.

      Delete
  7. They both sound good. Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very good.

      Thanks for stopping, JC Jones.

      Delete
  8. Love both covers, too. Covers have a big impact on book selection. Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome.

      Thanks for stopping, Gail.

      Delete
  9. Both books sound good. I'm waiting for a copy of A Memory of Violets to come from the library.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you LOVE A Memory of Violets.

      Let me know if you read it.

      Thanks for stopping, Catherine.

      Delete
  10. These both sound like interesting books which I'll follow up on. Thanks for sharing.

    The Picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you read them.

      Thanks for stopping, Sherry.

      Delete