Friday, February 27, 2015

Book Beginnings - 2/27/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from MIST OF MIDNIGHT by Sandra Byrd.

"Dusk had begun to smother daylight as we walked down the cool street, peering at the numbers above the doorways, one after the other, skirts gathered in hand to keep them from grazing the occasional piles of wet mud and steamy horse muck."

It isn't bad.  Nothing earth shattering yet.  :) Set in London. 


**********

This book is one I finished last week and used as my book beginnings.  Wanted to share again this week.

WHISPER HOLLOW by Chris Cander.

 

"Myrthen's mother and father had carried more hopes than means with them when they crossed the Atlantic Ocean in the middle of January 1910.  Rachel Engel was just sixteen when she left her home and family in Saxony, Germany, brave and willing and fiercely in love with Otto Bergmann, but nonetheless glancing over her shoulder all the way to the southern short of the river Elbe, the gateway to the world."

WHISPER HOLLOW was VERY good.  Historical fiction and women's fiction combined with strong female characters.

My review won't be posted until March 26.  I hope you stop back.

Love the cover.

 ***************
What are you reading?






29 comments:

  1. I hope you are reading a good book. :)

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those covers. Both books look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers are beautiful.

      Thanks for stopping, JC Jones.

      Delete
  3. I love books set in London...this one looks good...and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the time period too.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  4. I look forward to your review, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these books sound wonderful! I like the way the author established the setting and set the mood in Mist of Midnight, and the opening of Whisper Hollow made me want to know how Rachel fared in America. I'm adding both to my wish list.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog today and taking the time to leave a comment.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whisper Hollow was really good, Sandra. I think you will enjoy it.

      Mist of Midnight is a good read, but not as good as Whisper Hollow. It is too aristocratic for me. :) The mystery is keeping me reading. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  6. Mist of Midnight is on my list to review. Hope you enjoy it!

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't too bad of a read. A bit slow, but good.

      I like that it is set in London.

      Thanks for stopping, Stormi.

      I hope you enjoy the book when you read it. Will be looking for your thoughts.

      Delete
  7. The covers are both beautiful. Hard to know what the stories are about from the beginnings.

    I haven't been leaving comments for awhile, but I appreciate you participating in BBOF. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping, Gillion.

      Whisper Hollow is set in a coal mining town and secrets. :)

      Mist of Midnight is set in London and is about a young lady inheriting a mansion, but another person before her was saying she is the real heir.

      I enjoy BBOF.

      Delete
  8. Mist of Midnight begins so wonderfully... until it mentions the horse muck! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Nikki-ann, but I guess that's what they had to look out for back then. :)

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  9. I like the London setting for your first story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like books set in London.

      Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      Delete
  10. The writing is definitely atmospheric and I love books set in London. I look forward to seeing what you think of it! I added Whisper Hollow to my TBR not to long ago. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Whisper Hollow. ENJOY when you read it, Katherine.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  11. I love historical fiction, too. Especially when the author incorporates actual historical events into the story. Anne's Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Historical fiction is my favorite.

      Thanks for stopping, Anne.

      Delete
  12. Hi Elizabeth,
    This is Megan from the book group. Your blog is quite impressive, I could get a lot of tips from your example! Still enjoying Take Me With You right now.
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Megan.

      Thanks for the compliments. I hope you stop back again.

      Delete
  13. Hi Elizabeth,

    Last week I added 'Whisper Hollow' to my 'Want To Read' list following your recommendation.

    This week, although you don't seem to be enjoying this one quite as much, I am also adding 'Mist Of Midnight'. The cover and title are alluring in themselves and I love your opening few lines, they are so descriptive, mud and horse muck included, as this is really what life was like in Victorian England!

    I am intrigued by the comment you made to Sandra, that you are finding the book a little too aristocratic for your tastes and I wonder how you meant that?

    I do hope that the mystery element is enough to win you over and thanks for sharing :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did get better, Yvonne. It was mystery, intrigue, jealousy, and love. :)

      It is too much about the rich and their activities. :) A bit boring.

      Thanks so much for stopping.



      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. I agree...I love covers.

      :)

      Thanks for stopping, Sheila.

      Delete
  15. Mists of Midnight sounded lovely until you got to the steaming piles of ...

    Lovely covers for both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL on the steaming piles. I guess that was a problem back then. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Page.

      Delete