Friday, March 13, 2015

Book Beginnings - 3/13/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 


***************
This week's book beginnings comes from THE RELUCTANT MIDWIFE by Patricia Harman.

"Holy hell, what's this?"  I say to Dr. Blum, who doesn't seem to notice the beat-up black DeSoto with a table tied to the top that's pulled over on the side of the road.  A young man, wearing a wool plaid jacket, stands on the berm, waving his hat.  "Help. Stop!"

I am loving this book.  

It is the second book in the series.  I didn't read the first book, but am having no trouble following the storyline.


**********

This book is one I finished last week wanted to share this week.

It was quite good.

A KILLING AT THE CREEK by Nancy Allen.

"The bloody, yellow school bus wound through the hills of the Missouri Ozarks in the early dawn of a June morning. The blood inside the bus pooled under the driver's feet, trickled in the aisle, drained out the back exit, and ran over the rear bumper."

Catching your eye?  :)

 ***************
What are you reading?



11 comments:

  1. Happy Friday...I can't believe how these weeks fly by.

    Thanks for stopping, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of those books sound good. :)

    Have a great weekend!
    Stormi
    Friday memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear the first one is as good as this one.

      I am truly enjoying it.

      Thanks for stopping, Stormi.

      Delete
  3. Both of these books look great though very different. I like an intense thriller read and I also like the sound of The Reluctant Midwife. I'm glad to know you can jump into the 2nd book with no trouble. I'll have to look for both of these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like thrillers at times, but like plain mysteries better. :)

      The second midwife book has the same characters in it. It is a really homey read.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love the look of both of these...all midwife books seem to capture my attention...and I'm hooked on mysteries and thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too on midwife books. :)

      You should enjoy both of these books, Laurel.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. The Reluctant Midwife sounds like the kind of book I enjoy. Great opening. A Killing at the Creek may be too gory for me.
    My Friday post features WHAT WE KEEP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really wasn't gory. It was more courtroom drama.

      The Reluctant Midwife is a great women's fiction book.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  6. Your first offering caught my attention, enough to want to know more. Thanks for sharing.
    Always By Your Side. is my meme this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Reluctant Midwife is very good.

      Thanks for stopping, SherryGLoag.

      Delete