Friday, March 20, 2015

Book Beginnings - 3/20/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from ONE MILE UNDER by Andrew Gross.

"Dani Whalen noticed the first slivers of whitewater ahead on the Roaring Fork River, the current picking up.  "Okay," she called out to the eight people in helmets and life vests aboard her raft, "it's been pretty much of a nature hike so far."

I have read a few books by this author and have enjoyed them.

I actually have only read ONE page so far so I don't have any thoughts on it yet.
**********

Two books I finished and wanted to share this week are below.  Reviews are in the book's title. 

THE RELUCTANT MIDWIFE by Patricia Harman.

I loved this book.  

It is the second book in the series.  I didn't read the first book, but I had no trouble following the storyline.

**********
THE POCKET WIFE by Susan Crawford.

A psychological thriller that kept me guessing until the end.
 ***************
What are you reading?






22 comments:

  1. I hope you had a good reading week.

    This week flew by just like they all have been. CRAZY.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got an email from the publisher about The Reluctant Midwife wanting to know if I wanted to feature it..that I should have received my copy..and I am thinking..well..I didn't..lol. Maybe it is delayed in the mail..lol.

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get it.

      Thanks for stopping, Stormi.

      Delete
  3. All three sound good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I blind? I can't see the BB quote! Help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I forgot it.

      Mom is in the hospital, and my life is upside down.

      Sorry.

      Delete
  5. I've heard good things about The Reluctant Midwife. It sounds like a book I'd enjoy.
    I'm with Elizabeth. Did I miss the BB quote from One Mile Under too?
    My Friday post features THE SNOW CHILD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I added it.

      My life is crazy and totally forgot.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for letting me know. I just added the BB.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, One Mile Under sounds like lots of thrills ahead...and I LOVED The Pocket Wife.

    The Reluctant Midwife is on my list....and here's mine: “SOMEONE IS WATCHING”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is white water rafting and a dead body is found.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      I hope you get to read The Reluctant Midwife.

      Delete
  8. Hi Elizabeth - I should finish The Fourth Amendment by SM Smith today. The first line: '"Let's go Yankees," twenty year old Anatoly Turken wisecracked.' Just that much doesn't give an idea of what the book is about, but it is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you let us know about your book when you finish.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  9. I'll have to look into One Mile Under. The beginning sounds interesting. The Pocket Wife has been on my TBR for awhile. It sounds fabulous and your review talked me into adding The Reluctant Midwife as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read The Reluctant Midwife.

      The Pocket Wife is good also.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  10. Enjoy your reading, Elizabeth! I have just started a fun cozy, The Mysterious Doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun title.

      Thanks for sharing and for stopping, Suko.

      Delete
  11. Ohh awesome BB pick the book looks and sounds fantastic. Thanks for stoping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Katiria.

      I haven't read too much, but it seems good.

      Delete
  12. Sorry I only got over today. Your comment got stuck in Disqus, which I am still trying to get a hang of ;) I like the sound of The Reluctant Mid-Wife, and since you loved it, I'm putting it on my TBR ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did love it. I hope you get to read it.

      Thanks for stopping, guiltless reader.

      Delete