Friday, March 27, 2015

Book Beginnings - 3/27/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
Same book as last week...didn't get too much reading done this week.

Also...a review and giveaway of Whisper Hollow at this link.

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from ONE MILE UNDER by Andrew Gross.

"Dani Whalen noticed the first slivers of whitewater ahead on the Roaring Fork River, the current picking up.  "Okay," she called out to the eight people in helmets and life vests aboard her raft, "it's been pretty much of a nature hike so far."

I have read a few books by this author and have enjoyed them.

I am only on Page 100...not a bad read especially if you are interested in white water rafting.
**********

Two books I finished and wanted to share this week are below.  Reviews are in the book's title. 

THE RELUCTANT MIDWIFE by Patricia Harman.

I loved this book.  

It is the second book in the series.  I didn't read the first book, but I had no trouble following the storyline.

**********
THE POCKET WIFE by Susan Crawford.

A psychological thriller that kept me guessing until the end.
 ***************
What are you reading?









17 comments:

  1. What are you reading?

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think an adventure might be something for me to go with soon. I don't read many.
    I am almost done w my featured book this week and it's really good.
    Here's my post: http://ebogie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out to me a suspense.

      I am enjoying it.

      Thanks for stopping, Elizabeth.

      Delete
  3. I am familiar with Andrew Gross and would definitely grab this up.

    sherry @ fundinmentalFriday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a good author.

      I am enjoying the book...it is getting very suspenseful.

      Thanks for stopping, Sherry.

      Delete
  4. White water rafting sounds too scary to do, but maybe it would be fun to read about. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went from white water rafting to murder.

      I am enjoying the read.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  5. Not read that author but the book sounds interesting. :)

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Stormi.

      Andrew Gross is a good mystery author.

      I hope you get to read one of his books.

      Delete
  6. Book Beginnings. I'm reading Behind Closed Doors by Elizabeth Haynes. Begins in 2003 with Scarlet. The first couple of lines: "To begin with, nothing was certain except her own terror. Darkness, and stifling heat, so hot that breathing felt like effort, sweat pouring off her so her skin itself became liquid and she thought she would simply melt into a hot puddle of nothing."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need some of that heat. It is freezing here in PA.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  7. The book definitely has potential. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    Elizabeth, now it's my turn: I have a wonderful giveaway on my blog. I hope you and your readers will stop by!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take a look, Suko.

      Thanks for stopping and for telling me about the giveaway.

      Delete
  8. All three of the books you featured today sound like stories I'd enjoy. My TBR list just grew a bunch!
    My Friday post features GRACIANNA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those TBR stacks....they are awesome but oh so large. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  9. I am listening to the Pocket Wife now and I am not sure if I am liking it. It is giving me a "Girl On The Train" vibe... loss of memory and apparently accountability due to drinking that is rubbing me the wrong way. We will see how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be looking for your thoughts on the book, Sheila.

      Thanks for stopping, Sheila.

      Delete