Friday, April 17, 2015

Book Beginnings - 4/17/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from LAST NIGHT AT THE BLUE ANGEL by Rebecca Rotert.
 
"Mother is a singer.  I live in her dark margin.  For the first ten years of my life, I watch her from the wings.  She just started working here a few months back. A club called the Blue Angel."

I am on Page 100...pretty good read.
********** 
Finished this book last week, but the review won't be up until May 19.

LITTLE BLACK LIES by Sharon Bolton.
 
LITTLE BLACK LIES is engrossing.  It is a thriller.

My review will be up on May 19.  

 ********** 
I also finished THE CAKE THERAPIST.

I LOVED IT.

An excerpt from my review is below:

If you want a "sweet" read that has love, family, sharing, and just darn good feelings in it, read THE CAKE THERAPIST.  

You won't be disappointed, and you will be running to your nearest bakery to get some sweet treats and perhaps trying to figure out if you are chocolate and raspberry or blueberry and lemon.
My review will be on June 2.   

I really enjoyed THE CAKE THERAPIST.

 ***************
What are you reading?



17 comments:

  1. ENJOY your reading weekend.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last Night at the Blue Angel has been on my radar but that beginning is to great to pass up! I'm looking forward to your review of The Cake Therapist. It definitely sounds like my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cake Therapist is wonderful.

      Last Night At The Blue Angel is pretty good.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  3. I especially like the sound of The Cake Therapist, not to mention the cover! Happy reading, Elizabeth, happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...the cover is great, and the book is just as "delicious."

      Thanks for stopping, Suko.

      Delete
  4. Oh, love the sound of them all! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend.

    Here's mine: “EVERYONE WORTH KNOWING”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all were and are good.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  5. I am almost finished with The Art of Baking Blind, which I used for my BB today. It's by Sarah Vaughan, if you want to try getting it from NetGalley it's still available. The Cake Therapist made me think of it.
    MY FRIDAY MEMES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. The Art Of Baking Blind sounds really good.

      I read something similar and loved it. The School of Essential Ingredients.

      Thanks for stopping, Elizabeth.

      Delete
  6. I look forward to your thoughts on Little Black Lies. I really liked that book too. The Cake Therapist sounds good too. They didn't have a digital of that one so I didn't get it but it sounds like I should have. Hope you have a nice weekend Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Black Lies was very good. Glad to hear you liked it also.

      I hope you get to read The Cake Therapist.

      Thanks for stopping, Darlene.

      Delete
  7. I am new to your blog. what a neat idea and a great way to get to know more books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping, trooppetrie.

      I have visited your blog a number of times for the Follow Friday post.

      Delete
  8. Hi Elizabeth,

    Your first lines piqued my interest enough to check out the book more thoroughly. However, it was as I expected, not a genre or era that I am particularly fond of, so I think I'll pass, even though I love jazz music :)

    Thanks for sharing, the book was definitely worth taking a look at. Have a good weekend.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      Glad you checked it out. Those first lines are interesting.

      Delete
  9. That book sounds interesting, glad your enjoying it. :)

    ReplyDelete