Friday, April 24, 2015

Book Beginnings - 4/24/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from THE SOUND OF GLASS by Karen White.

I am loving this book.  Review will be up May 21.


"An unholy tremor rippling through the sticky night air alerted Edith Heyward something wasn't right.  Like a shadow creeping past a doorway in an empty house, or the turn of the latch on a locked door, the movement outside Edith's opened attic window raised the gooseflesh along her spine."
********** 
Finished this book last week, but the review won't be up until April 28.

LAST NIGHT AT THE BLUE ANGEL by Rebecca Rotert.
 
An excerpt from my review is below:

LAST NIGHT AT THE BLUE ANGEL is about family relationships, love, and living with and loving what you have.  ​For a debut novel, this book has a lot of depth and characters that will stay with you even after you have finished the book.  Ms. Rotert writes beautifully and pulls you in so well that you become part of the story.

ENJOY if you read it.
 ***************
What are you reading?






25 comments:

  1. Happy Reading - Happy Weekend.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Last Night....on my TBR shelves. Another for my spring reading. The Sound of Glass sounds suspenseful and is just the book I'd read this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last Night is very good. I think you will like it, Harvee Lau.

      The Sound of Glass has some suspense and mystery as well as touching on the issue of domestic violence. A wonderful read as all of Karen White's books are.

      Thanks for stopping, Harvee Lau.

      Delete
  3. Both of these sound like excellent books. I've read other books by Karen White and enjoyed them, so I'm sure I'll like this one too.
    My Friday post features SOMETHING ABOUT MAUDY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen White writes awesome books.

      I think you will love it.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Last Night at The Blue Angel was excellent, and so is The Sound of Glass.

      I am almost done. Love it.

      Thanks for stopping, Stormi.

      Delete
  5. I have The Sound of Glass...and hope to read it next week. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine: “THE IDEA OF LOVE”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love The Sound of Glass, Laurel.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Hi there - I look forward to your review of The Sound of Glass. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      ENJOY your reading weekend.

      Delete
  7. Both of these sound excellent, Elizabeth! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sound of Glass is awesome...finished it last night.

      Last Night At the Blue Angel was very good also.

      Thanks for stopping, Suko.

      Delete
  8. Both of these are on my TBR. The Karen White sounds creepier than I was expecting. Guess that's what happens when you judge a book by it's cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't really creepy...it has a lot of mystery and secrets. :)

      The opening lines do sound as if it will be creepy, but the book is wonderful. It is talking about a plane accident.

      LOL on judging a book by its cover. It is a beautiful cover.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read anything by either author. Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JC.

      I hope you check the authors out.

      Enjoy your reading weekend, and thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  10. Hi Elizabeth! Great book beginning! It's a little spooky though. I love the grey polka dot background, very nice.
    Amy @ A Novel Start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. I love polka dots. :)

      The book was more mystery than spooky.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  11. Both books sound highly intriguing. (new follower)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful to have you stop by and follow. Both books were good. I love Karen White. That is Ms. Rotert's first book.

      Thanks, Daphne. I hope you enjoy your visits to my blog.

      Check out the giveaways if you like.

      Thanks for stopping, Daphne.

      Delete
  12. I haven't read anything by this author but the beginning of The Sound of Glass is great, going to add it to my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh....Karen White is awesome.

      Please check out The Sound of Glass and her other books. You won't be disappointed if you enjoy women's fiction.

      Thanks for stopping, Samantha.

      Delete
  13. I hope you're enjoying your read! The cover is very pretty but I suspect it's an emotional one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished The Sound of Glass. Loved it.

      It is emotional and a mystery.

      Thanks for stopping, guiltless reader.

      Delete