Friday, May 22, 2015

Book Beginnings - 5/22/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from the prologue of THE GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK by Kelli Estes:

"Liu Mei Lien felt the steamship shudder beneath her feet and wondered if the quaking of her own body had caused it.  "You don't have a choice,"  Father hissed. Before she knew what was happening, he'd prodded her to the ship's cold metal railing.  "Climb up, Mei Lien."


Can you tell what is going to happen?
********** 
Finished this book last week...wonderful historical fiction.

UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY by Pamela Schoenewaldt:

An excerpt from my review is below:

"UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY is worth reading because of the wonderful writing style of Ms. Schoenewaldt and her marvelous research of WWI.  She has a very descriptive and in-depth writing style.​

​Sadness and heaviness do prevail in UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY as we read of worries about war, the Influenza Pandemic of 1918, and the aftermath of the effects the war had on its returning soldiers.  UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY is a book you will want to read but a book that will pull at your heart strings.​"

My full review will be up on May 28 for a TLC Blog Tour.
*************** 
What are you reading or what have you read?







19 comments:

  1. Happy Reading!!

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no, is she going to jump? Now I must know what happens!

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE WOMAN UPSTAIRS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH....something along the jumping lines. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Elizabeth - I look forward to your review of UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY by Pamela Schoenewaldt. I've seen this book around and am very curious about it.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it, Diane.

      Thanks for stopping. Love seeing your comments.

      Delete
  4. I would probably like both of these books. I enjoy reading books where I learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy learning new things too. I think you would like the books too.

      Thanks for stopping, Anne.

      Delete
  5. Two very nice choices. Thank you for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, and thanks for stopping, Irene.

      Delete
  6. Such gorgeous looking books and both look like good historical fiction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both are good even though I am not too far in the Silk one.

      Thanks for stopping, guiltless reader.

      Delete
  7. I am intrigued. I think she will jump off the boat and swim for freedom. Or maybe she has to walk the plank? Not sure but I can't wait to read your book review on it. New follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Daphne.

      I am not too far in the book, but it is good.

      Delete
  8. I've heard a l of good things about your BB choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover.

      So far the book is good.

      Thanks for stopping, Lauren.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      I enjoyed Under the Same Blue Sky, and the Silk one is good so far.

      Delete
  10. The opening draws me in--I want to know more. Enjoy your weekend, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an exceptionally good opening.

      Thanks for stopping, Suko.

      Delete