Friday, May 29, 2015

Book Beginnings - 5/29/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
My book beginnings is the same as last week, but I do have to tell you, this book is absolutely WONDERFUL.

The characters and the storyline are very intriguing.  I am LOVING the book.

If you are at the BEA, I hope I see you.
***************
This week's book beginnings comes from the prologue of THE GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK by Kelli Estes:

"Liu Mei Lien felt the steamship shudder beneath her feet and wondered if the quaking of her own body had caused it.  "You don't have a choice,"  Father hissed. Before she knew what was happening, he'd prodded her to the ship's cold metal railing.  "Climb up, Mei Lien."


Can you tell what is going to happen?
********** 
Finished this book last week...wonderful historical fiction.

UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY by Pamela Schoenewaldt:

An excerpt from my review is below:

"UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY is worth reading because of the wonderful writing style of Ms. Schoenewaldt and her marvelous research of WWI.  She has a very descriptive and in-depth writing style.​

​Sadness and heaviness do prevail in UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY as we read of worries about war, the Influenza Pandemic of 1918, and the aftermath of the effects the war had on its returning soldiers.  UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY is a book you will want to read but a book that will pull at your heart strings.​"

My full review was up yesterday, May 28, for a TLC Blog Tour.
*************** 
What are you reading or what have you read?










11 comments:

  1. Happy Friday!!

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does not sound like good things are happening for Mei Lein. I'm curious about this one. Look forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good things are not happening for sure.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      It is really good.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I am enjoying the book very much.

      Thanks for stopping, Stormi.

      Delete
  4. Hi - I like the beginnings of GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK. I've just joined Book Beginnings on FictionZeal. It's a fun meme. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you joined Book Beginnings. It is a great deal of fun finding other books to add to your toppling stack. :)

      I always find a few books I love.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, that beginning is really good! I'm definitely intrigued and I want to know exactly what is happening next! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have  great weekend!
    My Friday Meme
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juli. I am visiting my son and was just at the BEA, so things are good. :)

      The book is VERY good.

      Thanks for stopping, Juli.

      Delete
  6. I'll be looking for you review, I want to know more about The Girl Who Wrote in Silk.
    Here's My Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying it. The review won't be on my blog until July 7.

      I love the cover too.

      Thanks for stopping, Elizabeth.

      Delete