Friday, May 8, 2015

Book Beginnings - 5/8/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
This week's book beginnings comes from EYES ON YOU by Kate White.

"The shoes had made a nasty dent in my paycheck, but I wasn't sorry I'd splurged.  They were Chanel, black-textured with a peep toe and a gold zipper up the back, really more of a booty than a stiletto."

For me, EYES ON YOU is an intriguing thriller not a gripping one, but it is quite good.

I have a few more pages to go.  I am enjoying the book. 

My review for this book will be up in June.  I know, I know, but I like to have things done early.  :)
********** 
Finished these three books...they were very good. 

THE SECRET LIFE OF VIOLET GRANT was wonderful.  My review will be up on May 29 along with a giveaway for the book.


An excerpt from my upcoming review:

"I have no qualms about recommending THE SECRET LIFE OF VIOLET GRANT. You will be entertained by the characters, and will love the secrets of the suitcase and of Aunt Violet.  Who would think a suitcase could cause all this excitement, intrigue, entertainment, and of course a fantastic story?

LOVED this book.  You will get caught up in all of ​Aunt Violet's and ​Vivian’s antics.​  ​

THE SECRET LIFE OF VIOLET GRAND is a truly ​delightful, witty read.​ ​The ending held a secret and surprise of its own. 

Ms. Williams is a marvelous storyteller.  THE SECRET LIFE OF VIOLET GRANT is going to be one of my favorite reads of this year." 

**********
THE SOUND OF GLASS by Karen White.

I loved this book.  Review will be up May 21.


An excerpt from my review is below. The full review will be up on May 21.

"THE SOUND OF GLASS is another remarkable, beautiful book by Karen White.  Her descriptions of the characters, the scenes, and the emotions of the characters are very real.  The book kept me wondering just what some of the female characters had to hide and why they were the way they were.

The characters will grow on you and grow on each other in a warm, inviting way.  You will need some tissues as this wonderful story wraps up. 

THE SOUND OF GLASS has suspense and mystery as well as addressing the issue of domestic violence. 

I truly enjoyed THE SOUND OF GLASS, and if you have ever read one of Ms. White’s books, you know you will be in for a marvelous read."
**********

LAST NIGHT AT THE BLUE ANGEL by Rebecca Rotert.

I enjoyed the read.  My review is in the book's title.

 

ENJOY if you read it.
 ***************
What are you reading or what have you read?

8 comments:

  1. ENJOY if you read any of these amazing books.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Eyes on You...and LOVED The Sound of Glass.

    The Secret Life of Violet Grant is on my list....have a great weekend.

    Here's mine: “EAT THE DOCUMENT”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love Violet.

      Eyes On You was good.

      LOVED The Sound of Glass too.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  3. Glad to know I'm not the only one that tries to read a book well before the review is due to be posted. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh.....I ALWAYS have to have the book read WAY BEFORE the requested date. Just my nature.

      Glad there is someone else like that too. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  4. I'd really love to read Eyes On You. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it, fredamans.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  5. Had a good vibe with the Violet Grant book. So glad it was an enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete