Friday, June 19, 2015

Book Beginning - 6/19/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 


***************
My book beginnings is taken from THE PARIS APARTMENT by Michelle Gable:

"She only wanted to get out of town.  When her boss sidled up and said the words "apartment," "ninth arrondissement," and "a ton of nineteenth-century crap," April instantly thought: vacation.  There would be work involved, but no matter, she was going to Paris."



It was tough getting started, but with the Parisian atmosphere and antiques along with journals from the apartment's inhabitant, the book became quite intriguing.
**************
I finished Dollbaby last week.  LOVED IT.  My full review will be live on June 24, 2015.

An excerpt from my review is below:

"DOLLBABY is an engaging, beautiful debut novel with amazing description, terrific, authentic characters, and a true-to-life storyline.  The cover itself will pull you in and will keep you reading. 

Historical fiction fans and fans of family sagas will not want to put DOLLBABY down and will miss the characters when the book ends.  The ending was filled with revelations and proves family is everything even though they might have secrets.

Add DOLLBABY to your reading list this summer.  I know you will love it too.  It is going to be a favorite read for this year. The characters are what made DOLLBABY special."

**************
What are you reading or what have you read?

17 comments:

  1. I finished A PARIS APARTMENT last night.

    Very good.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already have both of these on my GR list. Glad they were so good!
    Hope you can stop by. http://evilverlordthoughts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good.

      I hope you get to read them.

      Thanks for stopping, Elizabeth.

      Delete
  3. Both books you've featured today are appealing to me, especially Doll Baby. I'm adding them to my reading list.
    My Friday post features What I Remember Most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are worth reading.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  4. Dollbaby is on my list. On my audio 'wish list' and I just brought it home from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it.

      I really enjoyed the book.

      Thanks for stopping, Debbie.

      Delete
  5. Can't wait for your review of Dollbaby. The beginnings of A Paris Apartment didn't pull me in enough to make me curious about it. But, like you stated, maybe it starts out slow and then gets better.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite good once it got started.

      The author did a great deal of research.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of either of these books but that opener for The Paris Apartment caught my interest right away. I'd definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Paris Apartment was very good.

      I hope you get to it and also Dollbaby.

      Thanks for stopping, Bea.

      Delete
  7. A Paris Apartment looks soooo good. I also enjoyed Dollbaby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good, Laurel.

      Oh yes on Dollbaby.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  8. A Paris Apartment is on my TBR and one I'm looking forward to. I'm glad to know the beginning may be a little slow. I'll be prepared when I'm able to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...please watch for my review.

      It was quite good. I enjoyed the book. Great writing and great research.

      Review along with a giveaway is going live on June 30.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  9. Pareeee, Parrreeeee! I wanna read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      I hope you do...you will enjoy the book.

      Thanks for stopping, guiltless reader.

      Delete