Friday, June 12, 2015

Book Beginnings - 6/12/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
My book beginnings is taken from DOLLBABY by Laura Lane McNeal:

"There are times when you wish you could change things, take things back, pretend they never existed.  This was one of those times, Ibby Bell was thinking as she stared bug-eyed out the car window.  Amid the double-galleried homes and brightly painted cottages on Prytania Street, there was one house that didn't belong." 
**************
I finished these two books the past two weeks.  Both are quite good.

TINY LITTLE THING by Beatriz Williams.


I enjoyed the book.

An excerpt from my review is below. The full review will be live on my blog on June 23.

"TINY LITTLE THING is for those readers who love family secrets and family dynamics.  ​I enjoyed TINY LITTLE THING simply because Ms. Williams knows how to tell an intriguing story with drama as well as facts.  Her writing just pulls you in.

​TINY LITTLE THING is a great summer read with an ending that is oh so good."
 


Ms. Williams also wrote THE SECRET LIFE OF VIOLET GRANT.  I thoroughly enjoyed that book. 

***************

THE GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK by Kelli Estes:


THE GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK is simply BEAUTIFUL.

An excerpt from my review is below.  The full review will be up on July 7, 2015.

"THE GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK is a​n ​appealing, alluring read​ with charming, unforgettable characters​.  You will love Mei Lien and admire her for her courage.  You will also love her husband, Joseph, but despise Duncan Campbell.

The book is as captivating as the book's title and cover, and THE GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK becomes even more intriguing each time you turn the page and clues are revealed.

I thoroughly enjoyed THE GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK, but have some tissues ready."
**************
What are you reading or what have you read?










17 comments:

  1. I have been reading some awesome books lately.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Dollbaby...and now I am ogling Tiny Little Thing.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “EIGHT HUNDRED GRAPES”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving Dollbaby. You will LOVE Tiny Little Thing.

      I am going to read EIGHT HUNDRED GRAPES next.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is very good.

      I am enjoying it.

      Thanks for stopping, Vicki.

      Delete
  4. Hi - I really like the book beginning of Dollbaby by Laura Lane McNeal
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very good, Diane.

      It was published last year. I think the tour is for the paperback release. Not quite sure, though.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed Doll Baby. I listened to it on audio and it was great. I haven't heard of the other two but they sound really good. More to add to the books I'd eventually like to read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying DollBaby.

      I bet it was wonderful on audio.

      Thanks for stopping, Darlene.

      Delete
  6. Doll-Baby is on my TBR and I was really excited to see my library has it in audio. I love the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great beginning and a great book.

      ENJOY when you listen to it.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  7. All three of these books sound wonderful! The opening to Doll Baby definitely drew me in and made me wonder what things the character would want to take back.
    My Friday post features Widow’s Tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good beginning, and the book is really good too.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  8. Really good book beginning! It sounds like a book I'd love, it really entices you doesn't it?
    Happy reading,
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very enticing, and the rest of the book is very good too.

      Thanks for stopping, Amy.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It is quite good.

      It was published last year, and I can't believe I missed it. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete