Friday, June 26, 2015

Book Beginnings - 6/26/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 


***************
My book beginnings is taken from A NECESSARY END by Holly Brown.


I actually finished this book last night.  I couldn't put it down.

It is a psychological thriller even though the beginning doesn't sound like it. :)

"More than anything, I want to be a mother.  No, scratch that.  It's too desperate.  It reeks of years of trying, of thirty-nine, or a dedicated phone line for birth mothers that has only rung twice in the past eleven months, and one of those was a wrong number."

An excerpt from my review is below:

"A NECESSARY END was a gripping psychological thriller with characters that were well developed and ones that I wanted to shake and tell to wake up and see what actually was going on.  There was a good deal of betrayal as well as manipulation.

If you enjoy books with characters you d​on't trust from the start and a gut feeling that all isn't as it really seems A NECESSARY END is a book you won't want to miss.  The ending revelations are definitely a surprise and not what I expected."

************
I finished these two books last week and thoroughly enjoyed them.

THE PARIS APARTMENT by Michelle Gable:

"She only wanted to get out of town.  When her boss sidled up and said the words "apartment," "ninth arrondissement," and "a ton of nineteenth-century crap," April instantly thought: vacation.  There would be work involved, but no matter, she was going to Paris."



It was tough getting started, but with the Parisian atmosphere and antiques along with journals from the apartment's inhabitant, the book became quite intriguing.
**************
I finished Dollbaby last week.  LOVED IT.  My full review will be live on June 24, 2015.

An excerpt from my review is below:

"DOLLBABY is an engaging, beautiful debut novel with amazing description, terrific, authentic characters, and a true-to-life storyline.  The cover itself will pull you in and will keep you reading. 

Historical fiction fans and fans of family sagas will not want to put DOLLBABY down and will miss the characters when the book ends.  The ending was filled with revelations and proves family is everything even though they might have secrets.

Add DOLLBABY to your reading list this summer.  I know you will love it too.  It is going to be a favorite read for this year. The characters are what made DOLLBABY special."

**************
What are you reading or what have you read?



24 comments:

  1. I have been reading a lot of good books lately. :)

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Paris Apartment is on my TBR and I'm seriously intrigued by Dollbaby. A Necessary End sounds good though I agree that that beginning doesn't scream psychological thriller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both The Paris Apartment and Dollbaby were wonderful.

      The beginning of A Necessary End definitely doesn't scream psychological thriller...that's why I put that in there. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  3. The Necessary End sounds like my cup of tea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love it.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  4. A NECESSARY END by Holly Brown sounds awesome -- right up my alley! Thanks.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  5. I have all of these on my TBR, you write such enthusiastic, erudite reviews I want to read everything you recommend. Hope you can stop by. http://eviloverlordthoughts.com/anatomy-of-murder/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh....what a nice compliment. Thank you so much.

      You just made my day, Elizabeth.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
    2. I just quoted you in my READER'S COMMENTS section.

      THANK YOU, Elizabeth.

      Delete
  6. I should read A Necessary End. I do like psychological mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a book I couldn't put down.

      The characters were a bit unlikeable, though, but that is typical of a psychological thriller, right?

      Thanks for stopping, Harvee Lau.

      Delete
  7. I should read A Necessary End. I do like psychological mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite good even though the main character drove me crazy. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Harvee.

      Delete
  8. I love a good psychological thriller - this is SO my cup of tea. Thanks for sharing, another on the TBR list.

    Here's my book beginning: http://wp.me/p4IAgx-3U

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good. Nice to meet you too.

      I don't believe I have "talked" to you before.

      Thank you for stopping, stacecampbell.

      Delete
  9. All of your books sound interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping, Stormi.

      I enjoyed them all.

      Delete
  10. Hi Elizabeth :D
    Thank you for visiting my blog :) Some great openings here!
    Have a great day,
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping back, Amy.

      You blog was very nice.

      Delete
  11. Hi Elizabeth,

    I didn't select 'A Necessary End' from your MM post, but I wish I had, so I am definitely adding it now!

    I think that the cover might have possibly put me off to start with. However now I have taken the time to check out the full premise, when taken together with those intriguing first lines, I can definitely see the possibilities for the story!

    Thanks for sharing and I hope that you are enjoying your weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you changed your mind. :)

      I think you will like A NECESSARY END.

      Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      Delete
  12. Like your books especially the Paris one. The atmosphere would be good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely!!

      Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      Delete