Friday, June 5, 2015

Book Beginnings - 6/5/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
My book beginnings is taken from TINY LITTLE THING by Beatriz Williams.

I LOVE the cover and her other books.  I am looking forward to the book.


"The first photograph arrives in the mail on the same day that my husband appears on television at the Medal of Honor ceremony.  It's accompanied by the customary note written in block capital letters.  By now, I know enough about politics---and about my husband's family, I suppose---to suspect this isn't a coincidence."

**************
  Two Giveaways on my blog...check the giveaways Tab...one ends today, June 5.

**************
I finished these two books the past two weeks.  Both are wonderful historical fiction.

THE GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK by Kelli Estes:

THE GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK is simply BEAUTIFUL.

An excerpt from my review is below.  The full review will be up on July 7, 2015.

"THE GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK is a​n ​appealing, alluring read​ with charming, unforgettable characters​.  You will love Mei Lien and admire her for her courage.  You will also love her husband, Joseph, but despise Duncan Campbell.

The book is as captivating as the book's title and cover, and THE GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK becomes even more intriguing each time you turn the page and clues are revealed.

I thoroughly enjoyed THE GIRL WHO WROTE IN SILK, but have some tissues ready.
"

**************
Review is in the book's title.

UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY by Pamela Schoenewaldt:


An excerpt from my review is below:

"UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY is worth reading because of the wonderful writing style of Ms. Schoenewaldt and her marvelous research of WWI.  She has a very descriptive and in-depth writing style.​

​Sadness and heaviness do prevail in UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY as we read of worries about war, the Influenza Pandemic of 1918, and the aftermath of the effects the war had on its returning soldiers.  UNDER THE SAME BLUE SKY is a book you will want to read but a book that will pull at your heart strings.​"

*************** 
What are you reading or what have you read?






11 comments:

  1. Tiny Little Thing has characters from Ms Williams' other books.

    It is pretty good so far. Tiny has a secret her husband cannot find out about, and her husband has one too. Well Tiny thinks he does. :)

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like that book beginning! Makes me very curious what the photo is of.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really good beginning.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait for your thoughts on Tiny Little Thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read it, Mary?

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  4. Tiny Little Thing looks very tempting! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am only on Page 56. It is pretty good.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I had no idea that Ten Tiny Things has character mentions from Beatriz's other books. I wonder if it can still be read as a stand alone. Both your book mentions look quite interesting to read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I wouldn't have had any trouble following if I hadn't read Violet.

      Thanks for stopping, Books in the Burbs. I hope you get to read the books.

      Delete
  6. Great book suggestions. Thanks for the giveaways. I shared on twitter. Best, Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thanks for sharing on Twitter.

      You will love them if you read them.

      Thanks for stopping, Gail.

      Delete