Friday, July 31, 2015

Book Beginnings - 7/31/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
My book beginnings is taken from the prologue of THE PROMISE OF HOME by Darcie Chan.

"With a last wave at the window where she stood looking down at him, Nick was gone.  In the terminal of Southern Vermont Regional Airport, Karen Cooper wrapped her arms around her son, Benjamin, and pressed her cheek against his head."


Loved her other books...this book is equally as charming and good. It isn't a romance book, it is about the quaint town of Mill River and its residents.


************
I finished these books in the last two weeks.

 THE SUMMER OF GOOD INTENTIONS by Wendy Francis.

My review and a GIVEAWAY of the book are here. Quite enjoyable. 
 ************
THE LAST SUMMER AT CHELSEA BEACH by Pam Jenoff.
Excellent as always.  My review is here, and go to this post for information from the publisher and Pam Jenoff on how to turn your book club discussion into the era of the 1940's
**************
What are you reading or what have you read?

17 comments:

  1. Happy Reading!!

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first book certainly started off sounding like a romance. I guess that is one of the reasons we do this activity to look at opening lines to determine if they propel us into the story and this first line would make me think I was getting ready to read a romance.

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some romance, but it isn't the main focus.

      That's why I made that comment about it not being a romance. :)

      I don't read straight romance.

      Ms. Chan's books are VERY good. The characters are wonderful.

      Thanks for stopping, Anne.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an interesting story. This week I am spotlighting Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Mary Wingate - a cozy mystery. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      I like the title of your book. :)

      Delete
  4. Airport goodbyes are so sad....thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “AT RISK”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is so good.

      There are a few different stories going on in the book, but the characters are all wonderful and so is the town.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  5. Well The Promise of Home is going on my TBR just based off the cover! Luckily I like the beginning too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the first one first, Katherine, but you do not need to.

      The first one is THE MILL RIVER RECLUSE, then THE MILL RIVER REDEMPTION.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  6. I've heard of this series - it is a series, right? Putting it on my list because it sounds charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...it is a series, but you do not need to read it from the beginning, but it is nice to keep seeing the same characters.

      I love these books.

      Thanks for stopping, Kay.

      Delete
  7. "Charming" and "quaint" -- both words tell me that The Promise of Home is a book I'd enjoy. The book's beginning makes me wonder where he's going and how his leaving will affect Karen and her son. I'll definitely read this story.

    My Friday post features The Reluctant Midwife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should love it, Sandra. As I mentioned above, try to start with the first one. Mill River Recluse.

      I loved THE RELUCTANT MIDWIFE. I hope you do too.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  8. The opener seems to pull the reader in fairly quickly. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely.

      The characters are wonderful.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  9. Haven't heard of Darcie Chan. Will look out for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like her books if you read them.

      Thanks for stopping, Harvee Lau.

      Delete